The Trial Rig

GTboosted

TJ Enthusiast
As my profile pic shows, I like fishing. I recently posted my TJ for sale thinking I was going to get a JLU next year to take my kids camping and fishing. Rooftop tent and all that.

What happened was I started getting a bunch of calls and emails. I then had an epiphany. I can keep my TJ and do a trial build. If I later decide to sell it even after mods I shouldn't lose more than what the depreciation would be on the JLU.

Anyway I say trial because I plan to do my first overland build. I don't really like the "scene" on social media and the bazillion patches they all have. But then I realized the benefit of quick setup and takedown. I can fish different remote lakes and rivers in a single weekend!

My kids right now are 4 and 6 so they are not super patient to fish and take long drives. At a minimum I would keep the TJ for a few years until they both show interest to come with me. In the meantime I will strip the seats and only leave the drivers seat. I plan to sleep inside the TJ. I might end up keeping the TJ indefinitely depending on circumstances.

My main list so far
1. Gobi Stealth Rack.
2. Rhino Racks Batwing
3. Dometic CFX 28 fridge
4. Goose gear kitchen replica. (Looks like they use 8020 aluminum extrusions.)
5. Front locker. I have a rear lsd.
6. Exogate Tire Carrier so I can mount stuff to the spare tire.
7. Single suspension seat
8. Making it comfortable to sleep INSIDE
9. GPS locator with text messaging.

"MAYBE" List (I plan to go to remote lakes and rivers Ive never been too. Dont know if I actually need these upgrades)
1. Solar or dual battery setup
2. Front and rear air lockers
3. 33s and suspension work
4. Tummy Tuck
5. Winch

So that's the jist of it. I actually think if it all goes well I might not sell the TJ in a few years. I can add a passenger seat and roof top tent and have the kids take turns on trips.

Pics to follow. Will be a slow build just because the fishing opener is in April 2019.

Last edited:
Some of you have seen this pics but I will post them for the new reader.

The day I got it. Original owner.
1999 TJ 4.0 Auto with 52k miles. Rear 44. Factory hardtop with AC, cruise control etc.

Always garaged but the original owners actually wheeled it. Check out the license plate. So it has light battle scars throughout.
20181104_191436.jpg

20181104_191801.jpg

20181104_191743.jpg

Reactions: Chris
Same month I bought the tj I bought the Crown OE style fender flares and got the paint corrected. Best money I have spent on a vehicle mod so far. Some of you liked it some said it was a waste lol

Theres a thread here in the forum so I will post one picture.
20181104_192029.jpg

Next few weeks I did some regular new vehicle purchase maintenance.

New Mopar
1. Wires
2. Rotor
3. Cap
4. Distributor

Plus
1. Front and rear diff service plus lubelockers.
2. Tranny flush with new mopar rubber gasket
3. Bosch fuel pump
20181104_194711.jpg

20181104_202716.jpg

20181104_203457.jpg

Last edited:
Should be a real labour of love...making it very personal to you should be great fun....and I'm guessing your will make it so you can take everything out again and put it back to almost stock interior ?
I never thought of taking out the passenger seat and rear seat should be plenty of room to stretch out (for me anyway) and room behind the driver for everything else.
Cant wait to see the progress.:icon_popcorn:

Reactions: GTboosted
Next I got was

1. Mammoth Boulder Rims
2. Weathertech front mats
3. Aftermarket radio with satellite radio and polk speakers. I dont get reception in the mountains.
4. Rugged Ridge storage and cell phone holder.
20181104_195638.jpg

20181104_195615.jpg

Should be a real labour of love...making it very personal to you should be great fun....and I'm guessing your will make it so you can take everything out again and put it back to almost stock interior ?
I never thought of taking out the passenger seat and rear seat should be plenty of room to stretch out (for me anyway) and room behind the driver for everything else.
Cant wait to see the progress.:icon_popcorn:

Yeah I never considered it until I realized every time I take the kids out on my fishing trips they dont really enjoy it yet. Might as well make the build strictly for me.

I do plan to make it everything removable. The more I think about it, the less I want to sell it in the future. But you never know.

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
As she sits right now.

Hardtop back on and a Terraflex sunshade. Good to block out the sun when sleeping and also to protect the interior while at work. Took a chance because it's for a JK and it has a terraflex logo. When I received it, it fit perfect and the backside has no logo.
20181025_082826.jpg

I haven't removed the old stickers from the po.
20181031_104856.jpg

Parts I have but not installed.
1. New Mopar Rock Sliders.
2. New Mopar Chrome grill and bezels. Dont like chrome but I liked how it looked on @JeepZilla380 rig!
3. Tuffy Security console and rear security boxes. Facebook find

It’s looking really good, I’d never sell that thing for a JL, that’s for sure!

I’ve also got a 3 year old and a 6 year old!

It’s looking really good, I’d never sell that thing for a JL, that’s for sure!

I’ve also got a 3 year old and a 6 year old!

Thanks

Kinda felt guilty tbh. I felt it was not big enough for my family. Then I realized the kids wont last in the trips I envisioned lol

So might as well save some money and see how it goes.

Amazing looking TJ. I really like all you have done...do you have a photo with the new wheels from a bit farther away, like this:
View attachment 61658

Thanks. Not yet. I just added them and have been driving it to work only. I really like them but I am having second thoughts on them. I am now wondering if the Quadratec Extremes in Silver would have been a better choice for my paint color...

Thanks

Kinda felt guilty tbh. I felt it was not big enough for my family. Then I realized the kids wont last in the trips I envisioned lol

Yes, exactly. If your kids are anything like my kids, all those little trips you envision will not go over as planned. I think about taking trips to Moab and having the kids in the Jeep with me, and then I realize they'll last an hour (if that) before it will turn into a melt-down with screaming, fighting, and asking to go home.

That being said, I don't need some sort of big family vehicle for that. I keep the TJ and I plan to one day do those sort of trips by myself once they are much older. Either that or take them when they are old enough to actually want to do it!

Thanks

That’s part of why I went with the unlimited - the extra capacity helps keep the guilt factor down and allows the rear seat to stay in all the time (unless I’m doing a pretty big trip on my own). I do, however, share a similar overlanding intent over the long term. My plan is to take the kids out at least 1/month when they’re older (3 and baby due in Jan) for some disconnected time and for them to learn some self sufficiency without technology.

Fortunately my wife is 100% on board with the Jeep as my car (though she wishes it was an auto) and we mostly use hers for family stuff (such as long road trips). She knew I wouldn’t do a 4door and didn’t even ask :D

Parts I have but not installed.
1. New Mopar Rock Sliders.
2. New Mopar Chrome grill and bezels. Dont like chrome but I liked how it looked on @JeepZilla380 rig!
3. Tuffy Security console and rear security boxes. Facebook find

Thanks GT! Kiwi and I can’t wait to welcome you to the Legion of Chrome! [emoji2]

I keep hunting my local FB marketplace for a used Tuffy console. Had those in my CJ and YJs and would love to add one to my current Jeep.

I had no intent into making the TJ into an overland rig when I got it. Then as it all goes I was watching videos on youtube to get ideas what other people do to their Jeeps. I guess watching them over and over implanted the idea lol Then I noticed the TJ is not big enough. But thinking about it, the kids dont enjoy long drives yet. They say they want to go but when it comes down to it, they get impatient super fast. Lol

Yup.

Thanks GT! Kiwi and I can’t wait to welcome you to the Legion of Chrome! [emoji2]

I keep hunting my local FB marketplace for a used Tuffy console. Had those in my CJ and YJs and would love to add one to my current Jeep.

I need to get some mods before I add the chrome grill. I think it doesnt look as great in a stockish Jeep.

Which console did you have. I mainly got it for the side rear boxes. Owner didnt want to split the package. At $70 I still think it's a decent deal even if I dont use the center console. My problem is that I have a full length console and the Tuffy is a half console with the subwoofer partition. Like this one
125_3_.jpg

If you don't think your TJ is big enough for over landing, just add a little trailer behind it.
View attachment 61701

Very nice TJ and matching trailer!

Maybe I will do that in a few years when the kids get older and show true interest and patience. My girl wont leave the kids behind for the weekend, even with her mom lol...

So for now the TJ will be built for a single rider and possibly my pup.