The unfortunate TJ of the day thread

I feel bad for anyone who bought a 5.4 3 valve new like I did in 2004. The first engine lasted 110k . The second one lasted 110k. Much sad.

My father actually has one going on 160k still running pretty strong as a work truck. The 2 valve is actually the one that blew up on him.

• Wow
Reactions: ColoJeep
Come on now , get serious fake hemi's don't do that ! They simply lose control over the roller lifters allowing the roller to rotate 90 degrees perpendicular to the cam. And BAM it cleans house on the entire rotating assembly. However ,

View attachment 519836if you feel lucky you may catch the issue at the "only " wasted cam and lifter stage.

Dammit! I used to sleep well at nightā€¦

Come on now , get serious fake hemi's don't do that ! They simply lose control over the roller lifters allowing the roller to rotate 90 degrees perpendicular to the cam. And BAM it cleans house on the entire rotating assembly. However ,

View attachment 519836if you feel lucky you may catch the issue at the "only " wasted cam and lifter stage.

That'll buff out.

I'll just leave this here...

FB_IMG_1713636495145.jpg

With 2 people that's entirely possible. I'd be more interested in how it's secured.

1000006376.png

You can see the straps very securely holding it.

I'd still love to see the process of them figuring that was the best way of doing it, then flipping it to put it on. And to top it all off, think to themselves "Ah yes, just throw a strap over it here and it'll hold."

It's probably good enough as long as they flicked the strap and said "That ain't goin' nowhere!"

• Haha
Reactions: B252 and mjonesjr84
I had a 2004 Grand Cherokee Overland with the 4.7 HO V8.

Man I loved that truck, but once it cleared 80k, every time I drove it the back of my mind brought up the dropped valves.

I was planning on pulling the heads and getting them fixed before it ever became an issue, but sold it.

Kinda wish I'd kept it. It was a hoot to drive and sounded terrific.

My wife said that driving it was akin to walking a dog that was always straining at the leash.

View attachment 519837

View attachment 519838

My grandma has one of these and plans to give it to me when she upgrades. I've driven it more times than I can count. The 4.7 with the 545RFE is paired perfectly and a slept on combo IMO. If it weren't for the fact that my Jeep were an 05 and the swap wouldn't be "emissions compliant," I would throw that engine in my wrangler in a heartbeat.

Luckily no dropped valves, but the cam once shot a rocker arm off due to a sticky lifter. No damage thankfully.

Reactions: RangerTJ