The Usual Rear Shock Problems

My plans for tomorrow included replacing the rear shocks. I saw this thread and now I’m worried I’m going to make a mess of it. $150 to have a pro do it sounds like a good deal. But I’ll be disappointed in myself if I don’t get through it.

Grrr.
You'll also be disappointed when you see their half assed fix when they break one.

My plans for tomorrow included replacing the rear shocks. I saw this thread and now I’m worried I’m going to make a mess of it. $150 to have a pro do it sounds like a good deal. But I’ll be disappointed in myself if I don’t get through it.

Grrr.
Have you been spraying the nuts and bolts down with Kroil? If not you may want to start doing that now and then every day for a week, before you try and remove them.

Seeing as how you live in the Salt Zone!!!!

Reactions: TheBoogieman
Have you been spraying the nuts and bolts down with Kroil? If not you may want to start doing that now and then every day for a week, before you try and remove them.

Seeing as how you live in the Salt Zone!!!!
I’ve been spraying with Pb blaster for days. It took me a whole day to do one front shock. And I mean 24 hours. Had to get up the next morning and get more metal cutting blades for my oscillation saw to finish removing a bolt. Ended up cutting the top of the shock shaft off with a reciprocating saw to get the top off. I did successfully get one bolt off.

And the fronts are the easy ones.

I’ve been spraying with Pb blaster for days. It took me a whole day to do one front shock. And I mean 24 hours. Had to get up the next morning and get more metal cutting blades for my oscillation saw to finish removing a bolt. Ended up cutting the top of the shock shaft off with a reciprocating saw to get the top off. I did successfully get one bolt off.

And the fronts are the easy ones.
Kroil is way better than PB, I promise that!!!! @Jerry Bransford can tell you how to make your own.

There seem to be a bunch of varieties of liquid wrench. Any preference?
Plain old normal Liquid Wrench, so long as it says penetrating oil on it.

Capture.JPG

None of that stuff will work for the flimsy upper rear shock bolts that are rusted. I didn't have any rust and I snapped one off (3 on my XJ). I then punched them out and used the XJ bar pin flag nut.

I find the penetrating oils don't work for getting the stuck bolt going initially but can work to lubricate the remaining rusty threads that stick out.

Not going to prevent snapping the bolt off at first but can help prevent a situation of getting the bolt half out and snapping it off when the rusty exposed threads start to come through the nut.

I find the penetrating oils don't work for getting the stuck bolt going initially but can work to lubricate the remaining rusty threads that stick out.

Not going to prevent snapping the bolt off at first but can help prevent a situation of getting the bolt half out and snapping it off when the rusty exposed threads start to come through the nut.
sometimes its best to tighten it first, just enough to get it to move, then spray it and start working in and out to work it out spraying frequently .

Stop wasting time and money. There are no magic beans to fix this because they used shitty bolts and it is a shitty design.
I spent most of a Saturday morning under our California '03 with an air chisel knocking the nuts and busted bolts off of the tub.
Then I used panel nuts to replace the nuts.
I didn't know about the flag nut or I would have used that.

Reactions: Zorba

True with a blind hole. I've had pretty decent luck when I can get the oil on the exposed threads on the back side.

Reactions: tr21triton
This is definitely a fun read! And definitely more common than I initially thought. I got caught trying to do mine and broke the first bolt off I tried to remove. My solution was to take it to a mechanic, they drilled out the broken bolt and went ahead and finished installing the rear shocks for me. Cost me $200 to get it done, hated spending the money given how simple the actual install is. BUT that is if it all goes as planned, it did not for me. Live and learn. lol and FYI the shop was able to remove the last 3 without breaking them. Experience is a powerful thing.