Thermostat / engine temp problems

I haven't been able to figure anything else out as of yet. It's not my daily driver which has been having some issues as of late. Going to try a different temp sensor and double check some wiring when it gets warmer out.

I made a post about similar problem a week ago. I have eliminated temp gauge, temp sensor, and air pocket as being problem. I am waiting on new thermostat and will post results on my post when I get results. Be careful when buying new sensor or thermostat. The temp sensor I bought was not within resistance values on Jeep temp chart. Be sure to test the sensor before installing or you will get incorrect temp readings. Thanks for the reply.

I wondered about the temp sensor, I had put a new one on because of this issue. I saw a procedure to test the resistance in hot water with a thermometer but never did it.

Yea. Always boil your new thermostat in a pan of water with a thermometer that can accurately read from 150* to over 220*. I have always used a "candy" thermometer. At least that was what my mom used to call it. Use a pan you don't need for food. Pay close attention. You are looking for when the thermostat begins to open. Not when full open. Should be within a degree or two of rated temp.

Did you ever figure what the problem was? I have been having a similar issue and I'm hoping it's air in the system.

I made a post about similar problem a week ago. I have eliminated temp gauge, temp sensor, and air pocket as being problem. I am waiting on new thermostat and will post results on my post when I get results. Be careful when buying new sensor or thermostat. The temp sensor I bought was not within resistance values on Jeep temp chart. Be sure to test the sensor before installing or you will get incorrect temp readings. Thanks for the reply.

I wondered about the temp sensor, I had put a new one on because of this issue. I saw a procedure to test the resistance in hot water with a thermometer but never did it.

So glad I found this thread, I’ve been dealing with the exact same issues for several months! I’ve tried several different motorad thermostats (stant is now motorad unfortunately) but haven’t had luck with any. The only other changed variables before this issue started were a changed ECT sensor and new coolant. Im using zerex G05 everyone recommends.

Have you guys diagnosed the root cause of your issues??

So glad I found this thread, I’ve been dealing with the exact same issues for several months! I’ve tried several different motorad thermostats (stant is now motorad unfortunately) but haven’t had luck with any. The only other changed variables before this issue started were a changed ECT sensor and new coolant. Im using zerex G05 everyone recommends.

Have you guys diagnosed the root cause of your issues??
What are your symptoms? It's overheating? To what temperature? Does it overheat mainly on the highway or does it overheat while in slow traffic or while stopped?

What are your symptoms? It's overheating? To what temperature? Does it overheat mainly on the highway or does it overheat while in slow traffic or while stopped?

My engine runs cold, it never gets up to temperature. I think you’ve tried to help me on another thread haha.

I have the same issues as what other people have been saying in here. Multiple different thermostats, but my engine doesn’t get up to temp.

Logically I can’t think of which component would be bad since I’ve done so many different tests to try to diagnose the problem.

Maybe there is a chance that the ECT sensor I have was correct for the temp I measured it’s resistance at but doesn’t work correctly once it gets to hotter temps.

this is the one I bought: ECT

My engine runs cold, it never gets up to temperature. I think you’ve tried to help me on another thread haha.

I have the same issues as what other people have been saying in here. Multiple different thermostats, but my engine doesn’t get up to temp.

Logically I can’t think of which component would be bad since I’ve done so many different tests to try to diagnose the problem.

Maybe there is a chance that the ECT sensor I have was correct for the temp I measured it’s resistance at but doesn’t work correctly once it gets to hotter temps.

this is the one I bought: ECT
That ECT link isn't working, it says the URL is invalid. 195 degree thermostats? None were described as having "fail-safe" designs?

Reactions: Jerry Bransford