Thermostat housing, temp sensor mismatch

sssboi

Hey guys,

Recently installed a Gates thermostat housing 34741 and the factory temp sensor doesn't fit. It is very slightly too large for the housing. Can someone recommend a sensor that will fit? or any advice on the situation?

Thanks!

Edit: For a 2003 Wrangler TJ Sport 4.0L Auto

Last edited:
Is it possible to order the factory Mopar thermostat housing? The Gates part you ordered is meant for a 2004-2006 TJ 4.0, which has a smaller temp sensor.

So, you have two options:

Order the correct thermostat housing for your 2003, which is part number 53006192 or you can get the temperature sensor from a 2004-2006 TJ 4.0.

I've been researching all night and haven't found any information on alternate temp sensors for TJ's! :crybaby2:

I can't find any temp sensors at all in the factory part diagrams, so I'm at a loss.

However, I looked up that Gates part number and it specifically says that it's meant for 04-06 TJs, which would suggest that 97-03 has something slightly different going on... Which I have to assume is the temp sensor.

This is why I always buy OE parts :D

According to rockauto the gates housing is a match for 2003. My 2003 has a 4 speed auto in it so I think it's considered the later models which means 2004-2006 parts should fit?

Hmmm, that sounds about right.

This plot is definitely thickening!

So I spoke to the store that sold me the housing and they said it has a dry seal and the threads are supposed to be tight. So I got a wrench and started cranking it down. I got a few more turns on it and it feels really really tight but seems to be tightening slowly? Anyway, it still has a little more until it's down to the same level as the original. I'll leave it for a few days while I'm away and come back and keep going at it. I have to admit though that it feels really tight and I'm definitely scared of breaking something

Hey... If that's what they told you, take them for their word, tighten it down, and if it ends up breaking (which I don't think it will), hold them accountable for it. Any reputable store would stand by their word.

Be extremely careful when tightening those two particular bolts down!! They thread into the head and if you snap one of the bolts off and it snaps off flush with the head, you've got a tough job ahead of you getting the broken part out. The tightness should only be 20 ft-lbs. so I'd only use a 3/8" drive ratchet wrench to tighten them to help avoid over-tightening them. And a 1/2" torque wrench is not accurate enough at that low of a setting, only use a 3/8" torque wrench if you want to use a torque wrench there.

Wait, I was under the impression we were talking about the threads being tight for the temperature sensor where it goes into the housing?

Wait, I was under the impression we were talking about the threads being tight for the temperature sensor where it goes into the housing?
I dunno now, maybe he was talking about the temp sensor. I was worried he might have been talking about the housing bolts, maybe not now that you bring it up.

Edit: Yep it looks like he was talking about the sensor, not the housing itself and its mounting bolts. My bad.

Reactions: Chris
I dunno now, maybe he was talking about the temp sensor. I was worried he might have been talking about the housing bolts, maybe not now that you bring it up.

Edit: Yep it looks like he was talking about the sensor, not the housing itself and its mounting bolts. My bad.

Okay, I knew one of us was confused! Makes sense now... Because I definitely wouldn't be over tightening those housing bolts!

Thanks guys, I was talking about the temp sensor and I managed to get it reasonably threaded in. I'll know if it's fine once I get the rest of the car back together.

As for the thermostat housing, I used a torque wrench to tighten them up. I snapped a bolt tightening the water pump to the block, so I definitely learnt my lesson.

Thanks again guys!

So I've got the car back together and started it and got the code P0118. Coolant temp sensor. I'm thinking this might have been caused by having just refilled the radiator and possible air locks? The temp gauge seems to work fine and the car has no leaks so I'll be draining the water out and refilling with coolant