Thermostat or heater core?

The4bangertj

just because you can does not mean you should
Supporting Member
At that time where I’m wanting heat in my jeep with idaho getting cold but this seems to be a yearly issue. It just isn’t blowing hot like I know it can. Every year I’ve been in Idaho (now the 4th)I put a new 195 thermostat from some auto store and with a new one the gauge is back by the 210 mark and is blowing hot like I expect but it’s been a year and my gauge is showing lower than normal and heat is warm but not hot. Every year I also try and flush my heater core but every time I have I don’t really see much of anything that gets pulled and I notice the biggest difference in the thermostat every year. Is it really the cheap thermostats that are changing? The gauges are at different spots when I change them. Here is a photo after a 30 min drive fully warmed up and blowing warm air but not hot enough where I had to turn it off after 10 min like I normally have too. Understand now too that a SuperStat 195 (#45359) is the thermostat I should be putting in.

IMG_8850.jpeg

Used my obd2 scanner and at temp I’m sitting at 180 degrees exactly which i believe to be super low for a 195 degree thermostat as they’re suppose to open at 195 and sit just a little hotter not 15degrees cooler so a new 195 superstat will be on its way.

IMG_8855.jpeg

the last Stant Superstat I used did something similar...worked fine on initial installation and then after about a year started running around 180. I took it apart and found that the center plunger was cockeyed in the opening so there was an opening for coolant flow starting around the 180 mark. I replaced it with a Robert Shaw 330 series from FlowKooler, so far, so good.

Your thermostat is stuck in the open position, replace it with another conventional 195 degree model. Avoid any that claim to be "fail-safe" which isn't true at all, they tend to fail often in the open position like yours is stuck in. If it doesn't come with an air bleed hole in the flange like below you can drill your own. Position the bleed hole at the top when installing the new thermostat so it can let trapped air out.

Thermostat drilled hole.jpg

Thermostat Factory Hole.jpg

Reactions: The4bangertj
Morning

Looks like the thermostat is stuck open.

My story,
Replaced water pump and thermostat although thermostat was working perfectly fine.

Ordered the same Stant 195 super-stat. Upon observation the new was not like the original, it had no copper and was noticeably lighter.

Installed the new Tstat and engine would not come up to temp, it was stuck open. I was a bit pissed.

Anyhow ordered a replacement from Amazon but in the meantime went to Oreillys and picked up a 195 Murray Plus made by Motorad for $6.

The Murray looks more like the original Stant had some copper to it.

The original Stant was made by Stant USA
New version is made by Motorad same as the Murray, my take the Murray appeared to be a bit better due to the copper than the new version of Stant.

Installed the Murray and the TJ is back to normal.

Here’s a few pics of the old vs new Stant

My take by the Murray

IMG_0469.jpeg

IMG_0470.jpeg

Last night put a superstat in and temps look good. Heat seems to be back to full blast bc I have to turn it down after a few min and scanned it on the reader again and was at 198 degrees. Temp dropped right when I pulled my phone out to take a pic and the gauge is showing just blow 210 which is what it’s always been when I have a good theromostat in, never seen it on the 210 mark.
I also tried to back flush my heater core since I had coolant on the ground already but my drill pump was toast so that didn’t end up happening. Burping was super easy with that 1/8 hole on the top of the thermostat too. Will have to check and make sure I did get all the air out tho.

IMG_8898.jpeg

IMG_8899.jpeg

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
Well after bleeding the system of air my jeep won’t raise temp unless it’s highway, so stuck open again it seems. This is after driving to campus and sitting idle for over 10 min and sat at 150 ish the whole time. Pretty disappointed every single thermostat I get never works properly. Going to give it a few more drives to see if it fixes itself otherwise I’ll be looking for a Robert Shaw or Murray.

IMG_8938.jpeg

IMG_8939.jpeg

Me too.

Last week I replaced my water pump and conventional wisdom says replace the working just fine thermostat while you’re at it which I did.

Like you i replaced w Stant 195 super stat,it was what I had in there previously.

The new and the old Stants are not much alike, the new appears cheaply made in comparison.

Mine would not come up to Temp, was stuck open. I had to replace it.

So went to Oriellys and picked up the Murray 195 For like $6.

In comparison to the Stant, the Murray looks to be the better choice, has a bit of copper like the original Stant.

Both the new Stant and the Murray are made by MotoRad.

Heres a pic of the old and New Stant, the Murray is happily in the Jeep.

The new Murray is working fine at 1/2 the price.

My vote, I’d go with the Murray.

IMG_0470.jpeg

IMG_0472.jpeg