Things to do before a road trip?

DropTopDon

TJ Enthusiast
I plan on driving 5 hours in my TJ in about 3 weeks. I plan on giving it an oil change since it is about that time anyways, checking all of my fluids, and checking my air pressure. I was thinking about doing a transmission fluid change since I have never done that in my ownership of the TJ, but wasn't sure if it was necessary just yet. Would it be beneficial to change my tranny fluid before leaving? Also what other things should I check on just in case?

I'm a firm believer in following the manufacturer's specs for maintenance (changing fluids, plugs, etc.) when they recommend.

Sounds like you're not the original owner, so unless the TJ came with service records showing maintenance and you can confirm it's all up to date per the manufacturer's specs, I'd change all the fluids in addition to spending time checking the brakes and all the hoses.

These are older vehicles and you want to know, without a doubt, where you stand with the things that can break and leave you stranded and/or affect the longevity of the TJ.

Not sure where your road trip is, but any trip that takes 5 hours one way likely includes stints a long way from services, in places you don't want to break down.

Trans fluid, transfer case fluid, differential fluids, power steering fluid, brake fluid, oil, and coolant. Change any of those you haven't changed yet or are not within their service intervals. Grease all greasable joints.

Check your fan belt condition. If it's its showing signs of wear change it.

Agree you should do any maintenance you don't the know the history of.
However, 5 hours straight isn't much different than 10 days of 30 minutes.
I've done multiple 12- 20 hour trips, only stopping for gas, without issue.

It does provide a good opportunity to run a fuel system cleaner (like Seafoam) since the engine will be hot for an entire tank of gas. If you believe in those kinds of products.

Not to highjack the thread but does anyone have any advice on a longer road trip? I will be driving across country in my 2001 TJ pretty soon.

I put in new spark plugs, flushed coolant, and I'm going to do transmission flush, diff fluid, and transfer case.

Anything I'm missing for a 3,500 mile road trip?

I like putting in new wiper blades and washer fluid. Always seem to collect all kinds of new bugs on those long trips. Throw in a few gallons of drinking water in this heat. Check the pressure on the spare tire, on a Jeep I guess that's more difficult to miss? I generally wait until after the road trip to replace the air filter.

Not to highjack the thread but does anyone have any advice on a longer road trip? I will be driving across country in my 2001 TJ pretty soon.

I put in new spark plugs, flushed coolant, and I'm going to do transmission flush, diff fluid, and transfer case.

Anything I'm missing for a 3,500 mile road trip?
Oil change right before you leave.

It's summer. It's hot. Aim for mid day breaks to let it cool if you're running warm. Noise canceling headphones are nice.

I did 3500 miles recently(ish). Just don't push too hard. If I remember my physics correctly, around 60mph is when the aerodynamics really start to bite you.

Just look under your jeep at stops and make sure nothing is dripping :p

I plan on driving 5 hours in my TJ in about 3 weeks. I plan on giving it an oil change since it is about that time anyways, checking all of my fluids, and checking my air pressure. I was thinking about doing a transmission fluid change since I have never done that in my ownership of the TJ, but wasn't sure if it was necessary just yet. Would it be beneficial to change my tranny fluid before leaving? Also what other things should I check on just in case?
Get some gas ⛽️.

AAA is cheap re assurance if you were to need a long tow and your not familiar with the area.

I forgot to include, my jeep does have the dreaded angry sparrows. It appears time to time but is not always there. Should this be something that I should worry about possible interfering with my trip?

I forgot to include, my jeep does have the dreaded angry sparrows. It appears time to time but is not always there. Should this be something that I should worry about possible interfering with my trip?
Since this is a known maintenance issue you have, why wouldn’t you? Considering it can wipe out your transfer case, I would put it at the top of my list. 5hr drive is really not anything to worry about if you have your jeep maintained, it’s like any other vehicle.

Reactions: kameronkales