Think I found my LJ - please see pics

Keeun22

Found this 2005 LJ with 100k miles on it. I am a rookie so would greatly appreciate if someone would take a look at this pics and let me know if you think there is a rust problem. to me it looks like surface rust but i have no idea what i am talking about. Ready to pull the trigger! Anyone see anything i should be scared of? t
IMG_3736 (1).jpg
IMG_3731 (1).jpg
IMG_3732 (1).jpg
IMG_3734 (1).jpg
IMG_3735 (1).jpg
any help .
IMG_3729.jpg
IMG_3730.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Squatch
Rust on the suspension isn't a big deal, we will talk you into replacing all that stuff anyway.

Focus on the frame, inside and out. Common rust issue are around the skid plate, and rear control arm mounting areas. See if the skid plate bolts will come loose. If not that's a sign there is significant rust. Probe around in all the frame holes with a finger, looking for flaking or crusty rusted metal.

...and any obvious underbody rust. Lay on the ground and look up. If its there you should see it. Pull back the carpets, inspect inside the tub.

Reactions: skrelnik and Irun
thanks for looking. sorry for dumb question but what is TC skid section?
Near the center of the frame (front to back) there is a wide (2+ feet) pressed steel plate attached to each frame rail that protects and supports the transmission and transfer case. Each side has 3 bolts up to the bottom of the frame rail, it is this area between the skid and frame that can be an area of concern. Post # 3 has a pic of the skid sitting on top of the tire.

What you've shown so far looks pretty superficial to me. Definitely look closer. There are a couple holes in the frame you can stick your fingers into and feel the inside surface. It should be smooth like the outside.

Good luck!

• Haha
Reactions: TJ Starting