Thinking of moving to Texas

I didn't take the time to read the other posts but if I could move anywhere in Texas it would be the Hill Country. Anywhere between Austin and San Antonio, the River is great to live near and the hill's are stunning. However, I've lived in the Houston suburbs my whole life and have minimal complaints. Home prices are great and the cost of living is fairly low, low gas prices are another big plus. Not to mention the Houston area is severely underrated when it comes to food.

Idaho has areas that do get cold and snowy, but the Boise area is very nice and in the "banana belt". If you get a dusting of snow at night it is gone by lunch. Very warm dry spring, summer and fall. Huge lakes and rivers. My grown kids and I would go camping at volcanic hot springs, awesome restaurants. Great area for motorcycles and boats as well. Winters in that area are sweater and jacket.

Boise is a great place. I go there on occasion for work (I'm there right now actually) and it is by far the cleanest city I have ever visited. Great food, lots of stuff to do, I enjoy coming here every time. It's a college town so I'm not certain about the scene for kids, but nonetheless it is one of my favorites. I could definitely live here.

My wife and I have been talking for years about moving out of Oregon. We both can't stand the absurd amount of rain that we get here in the Willamette Valley, and the fact that you literally don't see the sun for probably 7-8 months straight is very depressing (especially for her, since she suffers from seasonal depression). Ultimately we've decided we would both much rather deal with the hot than the cold and rainy. Another thing is that Oregon has virtually nothing to do for kids. I look at some of these other states (like Texas) with Six Flags, water parks, theme parks, etc., and as a parent, I'm very, very envious.

Initially we wanted to move to Arizona, since I lived there for 5 years and really grew to love the heat and the desert. However, looking at current home prices there, to get the kind of house we want, it's simply no longer possible unfortunately.

That led us to Dallas / Fort Worth. We can get a house in the area that would cost $1,000,000 up here in Oregon. 5 bedrooms, 3000+ sq/ft, a pool, gorgeous kitchen, etc. I've visited Texas many times before and even briefly lived in Austin, Texas for a year when I was 18. However, I haven't been back since then, so I'm not entirely sure what to expect.

What is the weather like? I expect hot summers for sure, but when do they start and how long do they last? What is the fall, winter, and spring like? Does it rain a lot, or is it like Arizona where you'd get these almost tropical like rain storms where it would pour insanely hard, but then be gone 20 minutes later with nothing but clear skies (lots of flash floods in Arizona).

This would be a very big move as it's long distance. I have to factor in the cost of expenses such as what it would cost to have all our stuff moved across country, what I would have to pay to have our vehicles registered there, etc.

Any information from members who live in-or-around DFW would be much appreciated!
I left live just outside of DFW the metroplex area has a lot to offer. There are many areas to be he outskirts that are very nice. The the south you have a smaller town named Granbury that’s very nice and 30 minutes from the city. Schools around DFW vary as all the school districts are independent and can vary by quality
The option are wide open here depends on what type of areas you prefer.

If you're sick of rain, then Texas will definitely fit the bill there, haha. Just be prepared for droughts and restrictions on when you can water your lawn and such from time to time.

I can't speak much to the DFW area since most of my time in Tx didn't visit that area too much. However, I would say that if you're looking to moving to Texas, it's hard to beat San Antonio. I mean, I'm a bit biased since I grew up there, but it's a great city with much less traffic than most of the other big cities in the state. If you're looking for a family fun place, that's probably one of your best bets since it's right where Six Flags and Sea World are. It's also where Fiesta stuff is held and that's a great annual event for families.

I'd mention Schlitterbahn in New Braunfels, but I think I heard they're getting rid of that location (Edit: Apparently it just got bought out, but is still open.) Still, there are some good smaller water parks in the area. Also, there's some great rivers in the general area that are good for going tubing.

Either way, if you move to Texas, there's some amazing Tex Mex food and one of the best grocery store chains in the country there. As long as you're ok with the heat and other stuff that comes with Texas, it can be a great place.

San Antonio is in fact another area we are looking at! It appears that would be a good place for kids. Which grocery chain are you referring to BTW?

Prescott? Flagstaff? Tucson?

Are they as pricey as Phoenix?

Tucson is one I need to look at as well as Prescott. I think Flagstaff might be a different climate altogether since it's higher altitude.

Couple of references in this thread to high property taxes...that may be true, but keep in mind that Texas has no income tax...

Agreed. And Oregon (where we currently live) has very high income tax, as well as property tax.

Wife and I think about Twin Falls ID as a retirement spot...no kids in our case, though.

Trust me, if our kids were all grown up and moved out, we'd probably be somewhere like that as well. Right now we're just trying to be some place where the kids can always have something to do. In Oregon that's hard, because there really isn't much to do unless you're single or like the outdoors (i.e. hiking, camping, etc.).

Chris what are taxes going to be on said 3000 sq foot house in TX going to be?

I looked and they are almost identical to what we pay here in Oregon for our 1680sq/ft house.

I left live just outside of DFW the metroplex area has a lot to offer. There are many areas to be he outskirts that are very nice. The the south you have a smaller town named Granbury that’s very nice and 30 minutes from the city. Schools around DFW vary as all the school districts are independent and can vary by quality
The option are wide open here depends on what type of areas you prefer.

There's so many dang places around the DFW area, it's very hard to narrow it down, I can tell you that much!

Seems like tons and tons of smaller cities (and two major cities) all packed in a sprawling area.

I didn't take the time to read the other posts but if I could move anywhere in Texas it would be the Hill Country. Anywhere between Austin and San Antonio, the River is great to live near and the hill's are stunning. However, I've lived in the Houston suburbs my whole life and have minimal complaints. Home prices are great and the cost of living is fairly low, low gas prices are another big plus. Not to mention the Houston area is severely underrated when it comes to food.

My issue with Houston is that it's a known flood plane, seems to always get hammered by Hurricanes, and the cost of flood insurance alone would probably be $500 or something a month I suspect. Am I wrong?

Reactions: Equilibrium31

Let me look and see what ours are in Johnson county this year. Texas does not have state income tax so it gets off set. Our house is in that same square foot range that your looking into.

I looked up ours and our property taxes are around 3500 a year.
Another added bonus considering what forum we are in would be the proximity of some really great wheeling not far from the DFW area!

Reactions: Chris
I looked up ours and our property taxes are around 3500 a year.
Another added bonus considering what forum we are in would be the proximity of some really great wheeling not far from the DFW area!
$3500...nice you could not get a 700 sq ft, 1 bedroom house for that in taxes here in the worst neighborhood. Plus we have state income tax and a $8.625 sales tax rate

San Antonio is in fact another area we are looking at! It appears that would be a good place for kids. Which grocery chain are you referring to BTW?

Tucson is one I need to look at as well as Prescott. I think Flagstaff might be a different climate altogether since it's higher altitude.

Agreed. And Oregon (where we currently live) has very high income tax, as well as property tax.

Trust me, if our kids were all grown up and moved out, we'd probably be somewhere like that as well. Right now we're just trying to be some place where the kids can always have something to do. In Oregon that's hard, because there really isn't much to do unless you're single or like the outdoors (i.e. hiking, camping, etc.).

I looked and they are almost identical to what we pay here in Oregon for our 1680sq/ft house.

There's so many dang places around the DFW area, it's very hard to narrow it down, I can tell you that much!

Seems like tons and tons of smaller cities (and two major cities) all packed in a sprawling area.

My issue with Houston is that it's a known flood plane, seems to always get hammered by Hurricanes, and the cost of flood insurance alone would probably be $500 or something a month I suspect. Am I wrong?
The grocery store he is referring to is H-E-B.
You are not wrong about the flooding, I personally have never been affected by the flooding living where I do. For reference during Harvey I never had more than minor street flooding (I lived in League City at the time) two exits down though was Dickinson and many homes and businesses received 3 or more feet of water. What I'm trying to say is the flooding is in isolated areas. And you are correct about the insurance, we are required by the state to have a Windstorm insurance policy and I have a flood insurance policy on top of that.

As far as as the questions on insurance and taxes and such, I live in a new 2,000 sq. ft. home and my monthly mortgage is about $1600 a month.

I'm not going to try and sell you on Houston though, like I said if I had my choice San Antonio-Austin is the place to be.

The grocery store he is referring to is H-E-B.
You are not wrong about the flooding, I personally have never been affected by the flooding living where I do. For reference during Harvey I never had more than minor street flooding (I lived in League City at the time) two exits down though was Dickinson and many homes and businesses received 3 or more feet of water. What I'm trying to say is the flooding is in isolated areas. And you are correct about the insurance, we are required by the state to have a Windstorm insurance policy and I have a flood insurance policy on top of that.

As far as as the questions on insurance and taxes and such, I live in a new 2,000 sq. ft. home and my monthly mortgage is about $1600 a month.

I'm not going to try and sell you on Houston though, like I said if I had my choice San Antonio-Austin is the place to be.

Austin is where I lived for a year when I was 21 and I loved it. However, it's become so expensive it's not even possible anymore. However, San Antonio is right up there on our list, so maybe I'll start looking for more places there as well.

Austin is where I lived for a year when I was 21 and I loved it. However, it's become so expensive it's not even possible anymore. However, San Antonio is right up there on our list, so maybe I'll start looking for more places there as well.
The traffic in Austin is absolute HELL and that's coming from a Houstonian, not to mention Austin is basically our little San Francisco. The whole "Keep Austin Weird" campaign isn't a joke.

Reactions: Jack72 and Fixer6
The traffic in Austin is absolute HELL and that's coming from a Houstonian, not to mention Austin is basically our little San Francisco. The whole "Keep Austin Weird" campaign isn't a joke.

Yep, it's the Portland of Texas (since Portland's motto is "Keep Portland Weird", which came even before Austin adopted it).

The traffic is not something I'd want to deal with either. We don't do a ton of driving since I work at home, but even then, I still hate traffic just like anyone else.

Yep, it's the Portland of Texas (since Portland's motto is "Keep Portland Weird", which came even before Austin adopted it).

The traffic is not something I'd want to deal with either. We don't do a ton of driving since I work at home, but even then, I still hate traffic just like anyone else.
Good to know!
San Antonio's traffic has always been light (at least from what I can recall) and San Antonio's North Side (1604 & I-10) is very nice.

San Antonio, Yes! Dallas, Hell No! unless you really like traffic, toll roads, and road construction, then Dallas is your place. Consider Denver as a possibility. Winters are no worse than here in Newer Mexico and there are Mountains, real Mountains! with hundreds and hundreds Jeep trails.

San Antonio, Yes! Dallas, Hell No! unless you really like traffic, toll roads, and road construction, then Dallas is your place. Consider Denver as a possibility. Winters are no worse than here in Newer Mexico and there are Mountains, real Mountains! with hundreds and hundreds Jeep trails.

Denver (and all of Colorado) is unfortunately massively expensive!

Sounds like San Antonio may move up to the number one spot. I'll have to check home prices and see what we can get.