Thinking of re-gearing my Jeep

Irishguy

TJ Enthusiast
My Jeep is a 1997 Wrangler with the 4.0 and a 5 speed. It has the dreaded 3.07 gearing. Dana 30 in the front and Dana 35 in the rear (I assume.) I have 265/75-15 tires on it and I doubt I'll go bigger, but may. I have a 2" lift that came with the Jeep, but is not installed. I'm going to add it on there. It also came with a brand new Smittybilt XRC9500 winch that I'm going to install too. Right now the Jeep is adequate, but I rarely use 5th gear unless I'm running over 70 on the interstate and 1st gear doesn't quite seem low enough for some of the uphill sections of the trails we were on the other day.

I know I should re-gear to at least a 4.11, but I seem to have read that I might have to change the housings. Is that right?

A shop in Fort Payne told me anywhere from $1200 to $1500, but they need to see the Jeep to give me an accurate quote.

I'm not looking to build a bad ass trail rig, I'm just looking to have my Jeep drive a little better. The 3.07 sux.

Suggestions?

Advice?

I went from 3.07 to 4.56 and it significantly made a huge improvement in driving and acceleration. While I have 35" tires (going to go 33s when these wear out), it makes it more fun to drive.

What I'd consider in your case is going as high (numerically) as you can without having to change housings. If you do, it makes sense (to me) to go with TrueTracs as they are only $200 more than an open differential.

Reactions: CharlesHS
X2 on the TruTrac limited slip carriers... Might as well add a traction device while you are doing the upgrade.
You will require changing out the carrier which holds the ring gear due to gear ratio limitations.
As for differential gear ration selection; that depends upon whether you will ever go to a larger tire.
IF the possibility is that you might... then go with the higher numerical gear ratio...

Last edited:
Same combo here (98, 4.0, AX-15), I had 3.07, upgraded to axles w/3.73 and just finished regearing to 4.88. Most will say that is too numerically high and suggest 4.11 but I am happy I went with 4.88. I do have 33 inch tires, you will need to take that into account.

They need to see your Jeep to give you a quote? That makes no sense, it's just a re-gear.

Anyways, does $1200 to $1500 include parts and labor, or is that just labor?

They need to see your Jeep to give you a quote? That makes no sense, it's just a re-gear.

Anyways, does $1200 to $1500 include parts and labor, or is that just labor?

He said that was parts and labor.

I'm still not clear on the housings... If I go with 4.11 do I need new housings?

He said that was parts and labor.

I'm still not clear on the housings... If I go with 4.11 do I need new housings?

No, you wouldn't need new housings unless you went deeper than 5.13 (i.e. 5.38).

Maybe he's referring to new carriers, but that's no big deal.

If those prices include parts, then they are good prices.

No, you wouldn't need new housings unless you went deeper than 5.13 (i.e. 5.38).

Maybe he's referring to new carriers, but that's no big deal.

If those prices include parts, then they are good prices.

Maybe I'm getting the terms Housing and Carrier confused. Thanks for the help.

Based on what I'm reading it's sounding like something in the 4.11 range may be what I want. Maybe 4.56... If I want a little more rubber. The tires I have on there right now are 30 5/8" diameter. I'm not sure how much bigger I would want to go on the OEM wheels.

You are probably confusing a carrier with housing.
From what i remember, past 3.73 is when split happens and requires a different one.

For your tire size, 4.10 will do well. 4.56 will feel too much.
So make up your mind on whether you are happy and satisfied with your tire size or not. You started with doubting you will get anything bigger, then switched to "maybe".

This forum is biased towards certain things, and people will put effort to persuade you with a dump of irrelevancy, regardless of whether you asked for it or not. So have your own mind, and have it set straight. Loving and enjoying your Jeep does not mean rock crawling or be in a pile of shit up to your neck.

Many happily wheel on 33"s with 4.10 , keep that in mind. But just as many wish they had 4.56 for it. Different experiences, different setups, so to each is their own.

TrueTrac was suggested and something you should consider. It is not that much more expensive than a new open carrier set up, and in the end you will end up with a good limited slip. You will need a new carrier, want it or not, TT will serve that role as a reasonable option.

As far as price for labor, i think $650 for rear and $750 for front is a good median to measure against. That is a rough conclusion i came to in my head after reading what others pay. Some find for less, many pay way more. Add parts cost on top of labor and make a decision if you are being ripped off.

Another option is to buy a set of 4.10 axles out of a 4 cylinder tj. Typically $800-$1000 for a set, then sell yours for $500 and you'll only be into the whole thing $300-$500 at most.

Reactions: AndyG
You are probably confusing a carrier with housing.
From what i remember, past 3.73 is when split happens and requires a different one.

For your tire size, 4.10 will do well. 4.56 will feel too much.
So make up your mind on whether you are happy and satisfied with your tire size or not. You started with doubting you will get anything bigger, then switched to "maybe".

This forum is biased towards certain things, and people will put effort to persuade you with a dump of irrelevancy, regardless of whether you asked for it or not. So have your own mind, and have it set straight. Loving and enjoying your Jeep does not mean rock crawling or be in a pile of shit up to your neck.

Many happily wheel on 33"s with 4.10 , keep that in mind. But just as many wish they had 4.56 for it. Different experiences, different setups, so to each is their own.

TrueTrac was suggested and something you should consider. It is not that much more expensive than a new open carrier set up, and in the end you will end up with a good limited slip. You will need a new carrier, want it or not, TT will serve that role as a reasonable option.

As far as price for labor, i think $650 for rear and $750 for front is a good median to measure against. That is a rough conclusion i came to in my head after reading what others pay. Some find for less, many pay way more. Add parts cost on top of labor and make a decision if you are being ripped off.

Thank you for a very well thought out answer to my post. I am strongly considering the TruTrac. According to my calculations, with my 30.5" tires, the final drive ratio of .79 to 1 in the AX15, and the change to 4.11 gearing, I'll be turning 2504 rpm in 5th gear at 70mph on the interstate. Which to me sounds about perfect.

Another option is to buy a set of 4.10 axles out of a 4 cylinder tj. Typically $800-$1000 for a set, then sell yours for $500 and you'll only be into the whole thing $300-$500 at most.

I hadn't really thought about that. That is a good idea. I guess I need to hit Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist.

I've got the Rubicon with a 6 speed, 4.10s and 265/75R16 and think the gearing is about perfect. Even if I went with 33s I think 4.10s are a great fit. The 6 speed does have a lower 1st gear and lets the Jeep accelerate from a stop just fine. Other than that, for you I'd say 4.10s are the right set. I doubt that your 1st gear would be much different.