Those with an ear for rattles

PaulCC

TJ Enthusiast
Rather than watch, carefully listen to the video and tell me what you think the rattle is from. Some things I've done already is disconnect the front sway bar, track bar, and drive shaft. Still made the sound. Will do more investigation later but does seem more prevalent as slow speeds. 2006, 4.0, 6 speed manual, stock suspension. Thanks!

Rather than watch, carefully listen to the video and tell me what you think the rattle is from. Some things I've done already is disconnect the front sway bar, track bar, and drive shaft. Still made the sound. Will do more investigation later but does seem more prevalent as slow speeds. 2006, 4.0, 6 speed manual, stock suspension. Thanks!

Have you checked the ball joints?

Forgot to mention the ball joints. Yes, I removed everything except the hub itself. Upper and lower still very tight, no slack that I could determine.

May try a camera next.

Transfer case shifter making any noise? Mine used to make a similar noise rocking back and forth.

Transfer case shifter making any noise? Mine used to make a similar noise rocking back and forth.
I read about the shifter being known for making noise. I've looked it over several times and could not feel slack in any of the linkage but that may not mean anything? At the moment the front sway bar and track bar are removed, the rattle is still there. Will focus on the ball joints and control arms next. A few days ago I had all four wheels jacked up. In 4 wheel high and first gear, no rattle. Will update once I determine the problem. I will endeavor to persevere(what the old chief said to Clint Eastwood in The Outlaw Josey Wales)

Reactions: JeepZilla380
Man I hate chasing rattles. What about the exhaust, any extra movement there? I tend to get under my jeep with some goggles and a rubber mallet and bang of a few things, see if I can find the noise that way.

Man I hate chasing rattles. What about the exhaust, any extra movement there? I tend to get under my jeep with some goggles and a rubber mallet and bang of a few things, see if I can find the noise that way.

The best I could tell the exhaust is tight. After googling the transfer case shifter rattle, I came across a video of a rattle that sounded similar to what I'm dealing with. The guy felt the noise he was dealing with was from the front but turned out to the be the rear drive shaft CV joint. I looked at the rear drive shaft already but will again.

Not having any luck finding the problem. Removed the rear drive shaft, no change. Unbolted front drive shaft from the differential and strapped it out of the way, no change. The steering linkage is in good condition, no slack that I can see. I looked at and felt for slack in the transfer case linkage, all seems fine. Checked the ball joints on the passenger side, tight, no slack. Checked the driver side ball joints a few weeks ago. I placed a video camera on the skid plate, didn't reveal anything but may try this again. Beginning to wonder if the rattle is from within the transfer case. Either it goes away as the speed increases or road noise drowns it out. Hope the t-case is not about to hand grenade on me. I wonder about the control arms but they also seem to be fine. I really don't want to remove them but am considering removing the coil springs and use a bar to raise and lower the axle. And the exhaust system is solid. Not sure if I mentioned this but seems like the sound is almost under my feet toward the center of the vehicle. I hate to replace parts without knowing for sure they are the problem.

After making several videos of the front suspension and body mounts, I believe this one tells me the rattle/clunking sound is from the transfer case. Going to get an estimate for rebuilding the transfer case for a worst case scenario. Also thinking about living with the noise since it goes away at faster speeds. And didn't have any trouble on a 200 mile plus drive that included many miles on national forest roads. I'll let you know.

Well, got er done. Replaced the rear track bar bolts with new 12mm x 80mm bolts after watching another video of where the track bar attaches to the axle. No more clunking sound! This has been one frustrating ordeal but glad it was just the bolts.