Thoughts about cat replacement

Iron Sky

97 2.5 w/ 250k miles - thinking my cat is probably plugged. Have had a real issue with not being able to hit highway numbers - floored in 3rd and could only hit 50-55 maybe 60 with a tail wind. Stock gearing w/ 31” tires so nothing crazy.

When I bought it Jeep had a bad carbon canister for who knows how long, just replaced that along with a leaky fuel pressure regulator. Took it for a test drive and was able to get 70-75 but that was still having to floor it. Wife said floorboard was super hot and I could feel it too.

Should I go with a universal cat and just cut and clamp the new one, or go with an actual replacement with the pipe? What do you think? Can I even tell if it’s bad in my driveway or would it take more than what I have access to?

Put your hand on the exhaust.. if it's restricted there will be poor flow.. engines are air pumps.

If Texas allows a universal replacement just go with that. A good shop will put it in nicely and you wont notice any difference. You might get a fuel pressure gauge and see what's really going on there. I've heard some people use some sort of temperature gun to check those things too, heat before and after or something like that.

Reactions: CodaMan