Thoughts on an axle swap

Gfacer

Hi - I have an idea of an answer but looking for a few opinions:

Have a 99 with 4.0 5spd and 31's that I just added (I'm a newbie - just bought in Feb). Its clear to me that I would greatly enjoy a gear swap. But I can drive as is and I'm trying not to spend too much too fast.

No lift at the moment and only a 2" contemplated at this time as I'd like to keep stock drivetrain and suspension (other than shocks and maybe springs).

This is not a hard core vehicle but will be mainly backroad access but able to handle more if needed.

So got a quote for a plain re-gear with new bearings and seals etc $2900CAD or $4200 with a dual truetrac set up (as marginal cost is less than parts). I'd go 4.10 this way.

There is also a pair of axels that just came up on marketplace with 4.56 gears but also dual truetrac and done by the same shop (which was local 4x4 groups recommendation) for $2500. This one also has upgraded axels in the back.

The benefit of the shop is 1) I get what I want and 2) I can get it later and the other one is way cheaper but then I have to get them in and not my ideal gear ratio (but future proofed a bit more).

I mean the facebook ones seem like the way to go - just have to round up some cash and convince my wife my new hobby isn't going to keep spending this much $$.

Keep it as is, add a BM 1.25" BL for your 31s, and enjoy it. Don't waste money for a regear until you really need one. There's plenty of other stuff you can spend the money on.
p.s. Even if I had 3.07 gears and 31" tires, I wouldn't spend the money unless I planned on larger tires.

Last edited:
Reactions: Irun
More information is needed to make an informed choice. What is your current gear ratio? Is your current rear axle a Dana 35 or 44? If you have 3.73 now, a change to 4.10 isn’t worth the cost. I have the 4.0 5 speed running 4.56 on 32’s and it’s great. I had 31’s with the same gears and it was fine.

More information is needed to make an informed choice. What is your current gear ratio? Is your current rear axle a Dana 35 or 44? If you have 3.73 now, a change to 4.10 isn’t worth the cost. I have the 4.0 5 speed running 4.56 on 32’s and it’s great. I had 31’s with the same gears and it was fine.

Dana 35 with 3.07 gears.

Reactions: ger0
I bought used 4 cylinder Jeep axles with 4.10 gears for $300 a pair (when I had 3.07 gears and 33s).

Yeah I've read threads like that with envy. I can get a Dana 30 4 hours away for $150 with 3.73 and a Dana 35 housing. But they look like they've been sitting and I'm guessing they blew up the dana 35 so I question the condition.

Ebay axels are about $1050CAD (750 USD) - I reached out to the local specialized wrecker but no response yet.

But overall, yeah a 3rd option is to be patient on a used set unless I really "need" the LS.

Reactions: TheBoogieman
But overall, yeah a 3rd option is to be patient on a used set unless I really "need" the LS.
Everyone needs the LS.

20240414_082319.jpg

Hi - I have an idea of an answer but looking for a few opinions:

Have a 99 with 4.0 5spd and 31's that I just added (I'm a newbie - just bought in Feb). Its clear to me that I would greatly enjoy a gear swap. But I can drive as is and I'm trying not to spend too much too fast.

No lift at the moment and only a 2" contemplated at this time as I'd like to keep stock drivetrain and suspension (other than shocks and maybe springs).

This is not a hard core vehicle but will be mainly backroad access but able to handle more if needed.

So got a quote for a plain re-gear with new bearings and seals etc $2900CAD or $4200 with a dual truetrac set up (as marginal cost is less than parts). I'd go 4.10 this way.

There is also a pair of axels that just came up on marketplace with 4.56 gears but also dual truetrac and done by the same shop (which was local 4x4 groups recommendation) for $2500. This one also has upgraded axels in the back.

The benefit of the shop is 1) I get what I want and 2) I can get it later and the other one is way cheaper but then I have to get them in and not my ideal gear ratio (but future proofed a bit more).

I mean the facebook ones seem like the way to go - just have to round up some cash and convince my wife my new hobby isn't going to keep spending this much $$.

I was happy with 4.56s, 31s, 4.0 and 5spd driving around the mountains of Colorado. You could go 4.10, but I was never disappointed by my choice to regear from 3.07 to 4.56. That combo worked excellent for me, around town, on trails, and on highway trips such as Denver to Moab.

Reactions: GPK03X
Agree that it doesn't seem needed unless you're going to 33's or larger. If sticking with the 31's and don't NEED the LS, then why bother?

Agree that it doesn't seem needed unless you're going to 33's or larger. If sticking with the 31's and don't NEED the LS, then why bother?

Well the 3.07 gears suck mainly - I'm sure even with the 235/75/15s I took off it probably sucked (I didn't really drive with them on as they were shot) - from what I've gathered even at the stock tire size it wasn't a good ratio.

So they aren't staying but they also aren't the immediate priority.