Thoughts on MSD Ignition Coil Rail?

According to Mopar parts website, the coil rail is discontinued. I have bought three coil rails, two from Amazon and last week the MSD hoping it would cure my problem. Does anyone know where to get an OEM coil rail? I am fighting the misfire problem that seems to be unsolvable.
thanks Mike

Make sure your ignition coil rail is on tight if there is any space between the plugs and the rail connections you will have a major misfire.

Pure hype, pure bullshit. The OEM ignition rail (and coil) already put out way more voltage than is required for fast thorough combustion. That was done to help reduce emissions and make it more likely to pass smog tests in hopes of keeping the EPA happy. Making the voltage even higher, which is not even likely, wouldn't help in the least.

I have a supercharged 06 tj and I have run the MSD ignition coil rail for two years with E3 spark plugs. I had my engine stroked and and blueprinted, with three Dino pulls before and after there was a six HP gain with noticeable throttle response and reduced emissions. You should not bad mouth the product until you've used it and tested it thoroughly.

According to Mopar parts website, the coil rail is discontinued. I have bought three coil rails, two from Amazon and last week the MSD hoping it would cure my problem. Does anyone know where to get an OEM coil rail? I am fighting the misfire problem that seems to be unsolvable.
thanks Mike

I had this problem years ago on a 00 sport wound up being corroded wires in the harness by the ecu.

I have had it installed on my 06 tj 4.0 supercharged i6, first MSD makes a good product with great technical support I run E3 spark plugs there is a definite increase in power and throttle response. To those who bad mouth performance parts use the part before you write an incompetent non factual review.

Stop already. It is well known and documented that folks are fully unaware that the coil rail equipped motors are a waste fire system with a plug service interval of 30,000 miles. As such, they tend to think they are like other motors with a much longer interval and just simply don't change the plugs. When they finally do at 3 times the interval, the gaps are always 2-3 times bigger than the OEM spec. If the OEM coil rail was not highly robust with a lot of overkill voltage, that would never happen. The engine would just start misfiring as soon as the gap started getting much past the spec.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
I have a supercharged 06 tj and I have run the MSD ignition coil rail for two years with E3 spark plugs. I had my engine stroked and and blueprinted, with three Dino pulls before and after there was a six HP gain with noticeable throttle response and reduced emissions. You should not bad mouth the product until you've used it and tested it thoroughly.

Bronto or T-Rex? Do Fred and Barney know about this?

If you really think the MSD coil rail and E3 spark plugs actually helped you then by all means you should run them.

Reactions: tr21triton
I have had it installed on my 06 tj 4.0 supercharged i6, first MSD makes a good product with great technical support I run E3 spark plugs there is a definite increase in power and throttle response. To those who bad mouth performance parts use the part before you write an incompetent non factual review.

If you just got the part for free and just for looks it's not a good idea to review a performance part with out doing a Dino pull. There is a before and after when installing performance upgrades. Do critical testing and log your notes.

So it's safe to assume you have dyno-backed proof of your MSD and E3 "definite increase in power and throttle response". :LOL: Don't leave us in suspense. When are you going to post this info?

So it's safe to assume you have dyno-backed proof of your MSD and E3 "definite increase in power and throttle response". :LOL: Don't leave us in suspense. When are you going to post this info?

A six HP gain is not a big deal however, a better throttle response lower emissions and smooth running engine is an achievement.

A six HP gain is not a big deal however, a better throttle response lower emissions and smooth running engine is an achievement.
If you believe all that from just swapping to the MSD coil pack and E3 spark plugs I have a bridge for sale in Brooklyn for you. First, the Mopar coil pack already puts out way more voltage than is required so putting out even more voltage, if the MSD even does that, isn't going to help. Older ignition systems could be boosted for often dramatic improvements but modern ignition systems cannot because they had to be significantly improved so they could pass increasing EPA smog test requirements. I actually built higher performance ignition systems back in the 60's and 70's and they helped significantly, they really did, but they don't help in modern engines. Really. The same thing for E3 spark plugs, they don't produce any more power than any other good quality spark plug does, despite their advertisement's wild claims. The only way either would produce more power is if either the OEM ignition system was defective or if the spark plugs were worn out. Really.

But you can believe whatever you want, it's a free country.

If you believe all that from just swapping to the MSD coil pack and E3 spark plugs I have a bridge for sale in Brooklyn for you. First, the Mopar coil pack already puts out way more voltage than is required so putting out even more voltage, if the MSD even does that, isn't going to help. Older ignition systems could be boosted for often dramatic improvements but modern ignition systems cannot because they had to be significantly improved so they could pass increasing EPA smog test requirements. I actually built higher performance ignition systems back in the 60's and 70's and they helped significantly, they really did, but they don't help in modern engines. Really. The same thing for E3 spark plugs, they don't produce any more power than any other good quality spark plug does, despite their advertisement's wild claims. The only way either would produce more power is if either the OEM ignition system was defective or if the spark plugs were worn out. Really.

But you can believe whatever you want, it's a free country.

If you have not tried or installed it don't preach stories and assumptions. So many have preconceived notions of this and that not working becauae of misinformation.

I'm an MSD fan, no experience with TJ MSD iginition. But on my '73 Dodge, as JB said with older ignitions, it made a huge improvement over the 73 Mopar ignition. I would be willing to bet the MSD rail is maybe better than original? But seeing as kered's motor is nowhere near stock...it's kinda hard to say whether his reported improvements relate to a stock engine?

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I'm an MSD fan, no experience with TJ MSD iginition. But on my '73 Dodge, as JB said with older ignitions, it made a huge improvement over the 73 Mopar ignition. I would be willing to bet the MSD rail is maybe better than original? But seeing as kered's motor is nowhere near stock...it's kinda hard to say whether his reported improvements relate to a stock engine?
I have installed several MSD ignitions, they are a solid brand name and a solid upgrade for older ignition systems. They just won't help in the TJ's case, the TJ's waste-spark ignition type with the coil rail design is as good of an ignition as is available for the TJ. The only way it'd improve anything on a TJ is if the TJ's ignition system had a problem and wasn't performing properly.

Reactions: BlueC
What is a waste-spark ign? Have not previously heard of the term prior to you using it in this thread.

What is a waste-spark ign? Have not previously heard of the term prior to you using it in this thread.

The coil on plug rail in the TJ has only 3 coils. So, in order to make 3 coils fire 6 plugs, each fire signal goes to two plugs, one on a compression stroke and one on an exhaust stroke. That means the service interval is half as long as it would be with a 6 coil system.

Reactions: dodj

I know at least four people who have purchased and installed the MSD ignition coil with good results, my point is buy it and try it before you knock it. Don't make assumptions about a product from a very reputable American company.