Thoughts on Tuffy rear underseat drawer?

Tob

Paint-Matched Bezels Club
Supporting Member
tuffy drawer.jpg

Who is running this, and how do you like it? I'm looking for good flat storage for tools while keeping the rear seat, and I'm pretty set on this drawer. I just have a few specific questions for those of you who have one:

• How much higher does the seat sit with the drawer installed?
  • Does the edge of the drawer sit all the way to the tailgate or at the edge of the back of the seat when closed?
  • Can the seat be removed and installed just as easily after the drawer is installed?

I have had mine for ten years or more..

As far as how high, I went out and measured it for ya. %" off the floor.

The back of drawer is a couple inches back from the tailgate.

I have the original carpet on top of the box. The seat mounting hardware goes on top of the toolbox. The backseat goes in and out like it always did less 5" of headroom. So not so useful for adults. But then it never was lol.

I like how impossible to tell its there except for the cognoscenti and with the tailgate locked nobody is getting in there easy. Good for hand guns and the like!

I like mine.

Reactions: Tob
View attachment 237953

Who is running this, and how do you like it? I'm looking for good flat storage for tools while keeping the rear seat, and I'm pretty set on this drawer. I just have a few specific questions for those of you who have one:

• Does the edge of the drawer sit all the way to the tailgate or at the edge of the back of the seat when closed?
  • Can the seat be removed and installed just as easily after the drawer is installed?

I have one and while I like it the depth isn't very deep and I would run into issues trying to carry some items in it. Also ripped a fingernail off once when trying to get something unhooked from the latch.

IMG_3505.JPG

IMGP0356.jpg

IMGP0357.jpg

I have the original carpet on top of the box. The seat mounting hardware goes on top of the toolbox. The backseat goes in and out like it always did less 5" of headroom. So not so useful for adults. But then it never was lol.

I like how impossible to tell its there except for the cognoscenti and with the tailgate locked nobody is getting in there easy. Good for hand guns and the like!

I like mine.
Thanks for the input. Limited headroom was one of my concerns. I guess I'll have to go topless or only let short people ride 😂. I'll have to measure with me sitting in the back seat but I hope it's not bad enough that one's head would be all up in the top!

I like to have lockable storage, and I have an instatrunk right now, but it kinda messes up the tub storage with the seat out. I think the drawer will work nicely with and without the seat. I can take advantage of the large flat area of the tub without a seat or instatrunk in the way and still have lockable storage. But the upcoming Moab trip is one of those situations where I'll need lots of storage and a rear seat (I'll have 2 passengers).

I have one and while I like it the depth isn't very deep and I would run into issues trying to carry some items in it. Also ripped a fingernail off once when trying to get something unhooked from the latch.
I'll be mainly using it for sockets, wrenches, ratchets, pliers, and other tools, so I don't think I'll have any issues fitting those in there

I like mine.
opps 5" and good bye to headroom

My son is 6' 2" tall and he couldn't sit in the back. So yes short people ONLY or kids.
Ok, I actually put the back seat in just now to see. I didn't realize this because I don't sit in my own back seat, but my head touches the soft top in factory position 😐. FWIW, I am 6' tall. My shortest passenger has only 3.5" inches from head to soft top. I really wanted the drawer to work but I may have to rethink this...

Part of me still wants to get it even to just use without the seat installed. Then again, that would mean never using the back seat again unless carrying midgets, kids, or going topless. Even so, if topless, I bet the rollbar would be right in your face at that height.

I bought a Bestop saddle bag that hooks to the rollbar for easy storage, but if I don't get the drawer I may settle for some canvas wrench rolls stuffed loosely under the rear seat. Caveat being harder to get to and not lockable.

decisions, decisions... 😖

Reactions: Wildman
Looks pretty tempting, I've got a couple of Really Useful Boxes in the back that fit between the sides and the rear seatbelt bracket. But a low profile, permanent, lockable box would be nice for the essentials, and I can count on one hand the number of times someone's ridden in the back. I mostly have the backseat in there because I don't have a great place to store it. Plus I've got a Tuffy console and glovebox that are keyed the same.

What are other options that have roughly the same room as the Tuffy underseat?

My soon to be issue is my son is getting taller and so are his friends. In a year or so, I will need to pull the Tuffy just for head room.

What are other options that have roughly the same room as the Tuffy underseat?

My soon to be issue is my son is getting taller and so are his friends. In a year or so, I will need to pull the Tuffy just for head room.
Well, that's the thing. Leaving the seat in severely limits storage options. The instatrunk would be your best alternative. Tuffy also makes some boxes that go above the wheelwells on either side of the seat, but they probably have much less capacity. There's the Bestop saddlebag, but I don't know if I would store a bunch of heavy tools in it - also, not lockable. If you open your options to exterior storage, there's roof racks and tire carrier racks that sit above the spare. There's front underseat lock boxes, too, but they are small. Other than that, I don't think there's any other real estate in the Jeep that you can use for storage.

Reactions: WSS
View attachment 237953

Guess it depends on the height of the tuffy storage bin. I like this idea. May cut off the legs of the rear seat to have it sit somewhat the same height and have this added storage. Right now it is only my kid that sits in the back, and once he gets big enough he can ride shotgun with me.

Guess it depends on the height of the tuffy storage bin. I like this idea. May cut off the legs of the rear seat to have it sit somewhat the same height and have this added storage. Right now it is only my kid that sits in the back, and once he gets big enough he can ride shotgun with me.

I don't know that you can make it sit any lower on the drawer. I can snap a few pictures since I don't have the seat in mine right now.

Reactions: Ephry73 and Tob
  • Haha
Reactions: Irun and Wildman