Thread Bare

billiebob

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
So I went to the BC Overland Rally this weekend. Way too many people camping on 20x20 spots in the gravel parking lot at the Sasquatch Mountain Resort. Great event but after 24 hours, the promise of doubling the participants tomorrow, 30=C.... or about 100F..... I was gone!

On the home bound trip I decided to do the Passmore to Applegrove Power Line route over the Koch Creek Summit... On BFG Long Trail TA. 2ply polyester, 2 ply steel, and minimal tread left. They were free replacements when my miled out grips started delaminating. Should not have gone up a power line trail with them and towing a trailer!!

So near the top on a steep climb a rock punctures a tire. Chock 5 wheels with rocks. Make sure it won't roll. Change the flat. Drive a bit smarter. 4LO, Full Lock, 2nd gear, 2Krpm on the steep loose sections. A bit slower, more control, a bit of scratching but no 1 tire losing grip. Eventually you know you are near the summit because the horizon is kinda straight ahead. Up the last steep bit, level around the corner..... SNOW.... 4' deep. Spin the trailer and back home.

IMG_1427.jpg

Incredibly lucky to hit snow at such a WIDE spot... and FLAT too.

Went thru several of these water crossings. They were pretty deep/steep but the trailer had no problem following.

IMG_1429.jpg

So why this thread? I've always been a fan of the C Load Rating, still am BUT given that I know I'll often be towing this trailer... the 2ply polyester, 2 ply steel is not going to be my choice. I'll be buying KO2s in a D or E Rating.

A lot of the guys that wheel rock trails like the Kevlar reinforced tires or just the 10 ply load E rated tires. I had the old style goodyear MTRs on my jeep when I first bought it. The ride was stiffer but it wasn't unbearable by any means. If your driving takes you thru trails with jagged rock then changing tires might be good. Lots of good e load tires available. Do you have 15 or 17 inch wheels?

Cool trailer! Does the top come up on that thing? I have to assume so.

Have 15, 16 & 17s. So lots of choice but our local tire shop sells BFG, Goodyear are a 2 hour drive away. Joys of small towns.

Wow, having 3 different wheel sizes your hard part is going to be narrowing down a tire you want to use. There are so many good choices out there.

Reactions: Chris
Do you have a write up on your trailer. It looks to be homemade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, no write up.

Started with 4 sheets of OSB and 6, 2x4x12'. Which gives the 4' high sides. I built that years ago to haul product from my suppliers. Another dozen 2x4s, 1x4s, 1x8, 2 sheets of OSB for the bulkheads & some 1/4" glass from an old house, plus $100 of hardware store pieces built it. I did a take off to cost it buying all new material and figure about $500.00 would build it.

DSC_0007.jpg

Reactions: Rob5589