Throttle and clutch pedal sensitivity

What works for one doesn't work for all. That's all I can say. Unless there is a risk of damaging my vehicle or motor, I'm willing to pursue this course of action until I can adjust to the increased sensitivity of the TJ's pedal.
Just take the advise of @mrblaine and leave it at that.

If you go messing around with throttle linkage with your knowledge base you might just wind up with a WOT situation that I don‘t believe you will know how to deal with.

I don't think you can really do anything to alter either of them. The throttle is a cable throttle and immediately starts tugging on the throttle body as soon as you move the pedal. The engine is torquey down low and makes a lot of noise which adds to the sensitive feel. The clutch is non adjustable and is hydraulic, nothing you can really do there either.

The clutch is a "long" pedal travel, but it's not all that long of a clutch to engage. It doesn't engage immediately off the floor and it's done engaging before the pedal is fully let go. I think if you give it some more time you'll get used to it and not care so much. You will get better at learning the useful range of the clutch and will drive it accordingly at that point. Every manual vehicle is different. Yours sounds perfectly normal for a TJ.

You can try adding a spring or two to the throttle but when I did that, it just made the throttle feel weird to me, It added some resistance but also made the gas pedal harder for me to use, so I took them back off. You'll get used to it too, you just learn to make minor adjustments to the gas pedal rather than burying your foot in it much, at least when starting from a stop or at low speeds.
i noticed the long peddle travel and being neither tall nor short at 5'10",i put a homemade clutch pedal extension on so i didnt have tilt the seat back and do a back-bend to fully stroke her

Would it not be better to let me see that they don't work for myself? I'm not the one calling names because someone wants to do a thing I don't like, so while I appreciate your advice, I haven't seen any reason to take it. Protip: If you want to be taken seriously, don't insult the OP. It makes you look like a muppet.

You should atleast try the technique @mrblaine is recommending before making up your mind that it will not work for you and start fiddling with adjusting springs. It takes a single test drive. You could even do it on the way to Napa to buy your springs :)

Reactions: Zorba
I had a Yugo as well. I guess I got a good one - without the porous engine casting - as I never had any problems with it. As for the 240D pulling away from everything else - that was because all vehicles stay well back from its exhaust pipe!

My wife had a '91 T-bird (I *HATED* that car!), and it needed a repaint. She was going to have to drive the 240D for a couple of weeks. She was NOT happy! "I'll have everybody on my ass all the time!" Nope - I told her, "Trust me, nobody but NOBODY will be on your ass in that car!"
Sounds like the original Hessian Coal Roller ! :LOL:

The best part is, thick Black smoke was a factory no cost option since you had 65H.P. dragging around 3500lbs of Benz.
At least with a totally under stressed drivetrain the damn things should run forever!

Reactions: Zorba
Since the TJs have a mechanical throttle, there is a near-instantaneous throttle response. Newer cars, having electronic throttles, aren't often as fast to react.

My personal suggestion is just to drive with lower RPMs, meaning in a higher gear, when the high torque loads aren't needed. For parking lots and very low speeds, 1500 RPM is a safe bet. 2000 RPM is a good all-purpose number on roads, and 2500 (or highest gear, depending upon speed) is good for most flat freeway travel.

Sounds like the original Hessian Coal Roller ! :LOL:

The best part is, thick Black smoke was a factory no cost option since you had 65H.P. dragging around 3500lbs of Benz.
At least with a totally under stressed drivetrain the damn things should run forever!
That's it - and they did run forever as long as they didn't get cancer. That's why I still have my '85 300SD. And why I still maintain that 100 HP is PLENTY for a passenger car! I never had any problems driving the old 240D anywhere I wanted - and they were wonderful freeway cruisers once they got wound up.

Reactions: ColoJeep
I never had any problems driving the old 240D anywhere I wanted - and they were wonderful freeway cruisers once they got wound up.
While true, what is oft overlooked is if your trip was sub 10 miles, it never got up to the speed limit.