Throttle body issues?

4BY4ADV

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Chasing a couple intermittent misfires. Today I replaced some vacuum lines with ones I got from a silicone kit then hooked up a smoker to the Brake booster line. Smoke out the air filter as expected, however I had smoke coming out the throttle body, appearing to come from where the spring is. Is this common? I'm now looking for a replacement TB, however I'd hate to grab a used one and have the same issue.

Yes, it can wear where the throttle plate pivot pins pass through the throttle body and cause a vacuum leak. I am not sure I'd call it a common problem, my previous TJ had 200k miles on it and my current TJ has 107k without a leak there.

I'm at 217k now... Ordered the BBK 62mm one, figuring I might as well replace with new since I've had so many little issues.

On a positive note, drive into work today and no codes thrown. Fingers crossed... I'd really like to pass smog and be done with this!

I'm at 217k now... Ordered the BBK 62mm one, figuring I might as well replace with new since I've had so many little issues.

On a positive note, drive into work today and no codes thrown. Fingers crossed... I'd really like to pass smog and be done with this!
Did replacing your throttle body fixed your vacuum leak? I, too, have a vacuum leak and my throttle body spring is the only place where the smoke is leaking from. I replaced both of the throttle body gaskets.

I still have a vacuum leak to trace down… that or I have some valve issues. I’m going to smoke the engine again in the next couple days to see if there is smoke coming out anywhere else.

On a side note, the whistle from my cowl intake is quieter.