Throwing accessory drive belt under load

KingofCelulamos

When I'm giving her full throttle, as when, for example, coming out of a mud hole, my accessory belt tends to get thrown off the pulleys. It hasn't shredded one...yet. But putting it back on, on the trail, when the engine is very hot, is obviously problematic. Looking across the plane of the belt system when the Jeep is idling, it appears that the alternator is sitting too far forward, putting the belt on the front edge of the water pump/fan pulley as it comes off the alternator. This has only begun happening since minor, bolt on mods of 6" of lift, swapping in an HP30 in front and 8.8 in rear, SYE, control arms, 33" tires, etc, etc, etc. It's got the same alternator it's had since I got it two years ago, and I haven't made any modifications under the hood. Any thoughts? I'd really like to be able to get back out in the thick of things with some modicum of confidence.

Ensure the alternator pulley retaining nut is tight, check the alternator to block mount for cracks and loose bolts.
Take a look at the crankshaft pulley harmonic balancer rubber to see if the balancer is separating which would cause the crank pulley to misalign...

Perhaps improper belt tension. What year is your TJ? Your Profile is devoid of any information about it. I'm asking to determine if you have an automatic/spring-loaded belt tensioner used on newer TJs or the screw-adjusted belt tensioner located on the power steering pump that early TJs used.

Mine is a 1998 Sport. I put a new belt on three months ago and it started to come off last week. I got it on at the side of the road and tightened the hell out of it. Ever hear of one coming loose after three months? It was a Gates belt. Only two thirds of belt left. I don't feel anything loose on the pulleys.

Mine is a 1998 Sport. I put a new belt on three months ago and it started to come off last week. I got it on at the side of the road and tightened the hell out of it. Ever hear of one coming loose after three months? It was a Gates belt. Only two thirds of belt left. I don't feel anything loose on the pulleys.
Take a look at the crankshaft pulley harmonic balancer rubber to see if the balancer is separating which would cause the crank pulley to misalign and shred the belt over time.

Perhaps improper belt tension. What year is your TJ? Your Profile is devoid of any information about it. I'm asking to determine if you have an automatic/spring-loaded belt tensioner used on newer TJs or the screw-adjusted belt tensioner located on the power steering pump that early TJs used.
It's a '98, so it's a screw adjusted tensioner

Take a look at the crankshaft pulley harmonic balancer rubber to see if the balancer is separating which would cause the crank pulley to misalign and shred the belt over time.
I had that happen several months ago. I've never had that kind of problem before on any other vehicle. I've never even heard about such a problem in the past.

I'm not trying to seal your question, but it relates. I replaced a belt three months ago and the steering pump pulley looked liked this. I
do not know how long the belt was on before I replaced it. The pulley looks cracked or is that factory? The new Gates belt only lasted thought the summer and shredded one third off. Everyday I come across something unlike any other car or truck that I have ever owned.

Steering pump pulley.jpg