Throwout Bearing Fell Apart - OE or Upgrade?

Rick Brewsler

So my throwout bearing is busted, and I am going to replace, but I wanted to get your opinions first.

Possibly important: 2004 with 4.7L stroker, regeared to 4.88 on 35's

I did this engine and regear just before winter and just started driving it again a couple months ago, when I did the engine I also did a clutch kit (whatever one autozone sells off shelf). With less than 500 miles on it, probably 100-ish offroad trailing, my new throwout bearing came apart.

Question is: Should I just replace the TOB with a lux one? Is there value in doing a whole new clutch kit with so few miles on the current one? If so, should I go performance kit for my configuration, or is OE fine?

Also, I wasn't going to ask because I haven't finished researching on my own, but since I'm already posting, Stage I or II clutch if upgrading?

Check out my build here if you want! https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/my-long-overdue-2004-sport-build.17973/

Thanks in advance!!

Reactions: Chris
I'd go with the Luk clutch kit and dump that cheap Duralast store brand clutch & TOB. Your failure of the Duralast TOB is why I always recommend going for first-quality parts where critical components are concerned. Duralast seat covers, floor mats, or air freshener? Critical parts like the clutch, radiator, starter, water pump, etc.? Nope.

Reactions: Rick Brewsler
Yeah, I know better. I researched product reputations and bought the best I could afford for everything else, not sure why I skimped here. I don’t even think it was a price thing, I think I wanted it in a hurry. Lesson learned.

Are you suggesting the standard OE Luk kit?

Thanks for the reply

Are you suggesting the standard OE Luk kit?
Yes. And don't let anyone talk you into resurfacing or machining the flywheel face. Its face has a required convex dome shape that would be removed by the most commonly used machine tools.

Last edited:
I thought that the national brand TO bearing was the one to use even when installing the LUK clutch. Has the LUK been upgraded or am I thinking wrong again? Most clutch disks themselves should last 10's of thousands of miles. It's the bearings, spring fingers and such that fall apart on a "cheap" kit.

Reactions: Sierra96