Throwout bearing install dilemma

jeep_boss

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
So longer story short, I had planned to use a Centerforce TOB for my clutch job. I got screwed by 4 Wheel Parts Store on shipping - ordered it last week with express delivery, and the rotten SOB's never even shipped it out. My order sat there for a week.

I have two options (1) the plastic Luk bearing and (2) a National bearing. BOTH appear to be pressed off center from the sleeve! The National is worse than the Luk (it also has a lot of play), but neither are perfect.

Has anyone else installed one of these slightly wobbly aftermarket bearings with good or bad luck?

I installed the Luk TOB when I did my clutch. going on 30K miles now with no problems. FYI, my stock TOB was the steel one, and it seized up and smoked the pressure plate tangs at 125K miles. Clutch disc still had plenty of meat on it, so I'm not totally convinced the all metal TOB is any better.

Reactions: jeep_boss
All I can add is that I've used the supplied Luk TOB (twice) without issues.
I installed the Luk TOB when I did my clutch. going on 30K miles now with no problems. FYI, my stock TOB was the steel one, and it seized up and smoked the pressure plate tangs at 125K miles. Clutch disc still had plenty of meat on it, so I'm not totally convinced the all metal TOB is any better.
Were your TOB's even or slightly off center from the inner sleeve?

Another ringing success story of ordering from 4WParts...sorry man. Been there, done that. Never again. If they don't have it on the shelf in their store, I don't bother ordering.

Reactions: KCsTJ and Chris
Oh! Okay! I know what that is! Thanks Squatch....now I understand what they are talking about. A lot of people just throw out letters and expect everyone to know what they are talking about.
LOL Took me forever to figure out a few of those! There's a thread somewhere where Chris lists all of them. I actually had to use it in the beginning on several occasions.

I used a national...Its fine. I don't remember even looking to see if it was of center...

Call 4 wheel parts about your order. I had something similar happen, and they refunded my express shipping charges (in the form of a gift card) but at least I got something from it.

I've always used National or Timken bearings, and never recall having an issue with either. Of course, a lot of those were before things started getting manufactured overseas...

I used a national...Its fine. I don't remember even looking to see if it was of center...

Call 4 wheel parts about your order. I had something similar happen, and they refunded my express shipping charges (in the form of a gift card) but at least I got something from it.
I cancelled right away (on day #6 when I realized it hadn't even shipped). They won't get another dime from me, 3rd strike with these guys!