Tie rod ends

TJ4play

So my tie rod boots are destroyed and I ordered a new OEM tie rod not knowing what I've already got is much heavy duty but wouldn't the OEM rod be as long as my current one or any for that matter. So I was just gonna keep my current rod and put the new ends that came with the OEM rod but the OEM ends are way to small to screw into my current rod. How do I figure out what brand my ends are so I can replace them. ive got pics maybe someone can recognize the brand

20220716_160629.jpg

20220716_160624.jpg

20220716_160619.jpg

So my tie rod boots are destroyed and I ordered a new OEM tie rod not knowing what I've already got is much heavy duty but wouldn't the OEM rod be as long as my current one or any for that matter. So I was just gonna keep my current rod and put the new ends that came with the OEM rod but the OEM ends are way to small to screw into my current rod. How do I figure out what brand my ends are so I can replace them. ive got pics maybe someone can recognize the brand

View attachment 343545

View attachment 343546

View attachment 343547

I'd keep the blown out boots and throw the rest of that garbage away. Get the ZJ stuff and run that instead.

Reactions: CharlesHS
That is a Rugged Ridge steering kit if you want to try and get boots but I would follow Blaines advice and ditch that stuff for either the stock draglink/ZJ tierod or Rockjock if you need something stronger.

That is a Rugged Ridge steering kit if you want to try and get boots but I would follow Blaines advice and ditch that stuff for either the stock draglink/ZJ tierod or Rockjock if you need something stronger.

But shouldn't the tie rods all be the same length especially OEM? Even if I extend the ends to the last thread there still not long enough

But shouldn't the tie rods all be the same length especially OEM? Even if I extend the ends to the last thread there still not long enough

No they shouldn't and that is exactly why you need to toss that pile of mechanical poo. The OEM version has a draglink that goes from the pitman to the steering knuckle. The tie rod hooks into the draglink and goes over to the other steering knuckle. Yours is the opposite and the draglink is attached to the tie rod in a NON-OEM configuration which also adds a bunch of slop to the steering response.