Time for another fuel pump again?

MrMark52

TJ Enthusiast
‘03 L6 with 127k miles.

Replaced fuel pump September 2019 with a Delphi FG1221. Fuel pump comes with new bottom mounted filter.

Lifetime warranted fuel pump when installed with new filter (hmm, above?).

This week, Jeep getting harder and harder to start, acting very much like it did when I replaced it in 2019. When it does start, it sputters a bit.

Have not measured fuel pressure yet (need to go borrow that gauge kit from O’Reilly’s), but I did get out this AM and press on the fuel rail bleed port, and no fuel squirted at me. Engine last ran last night. Previous experience with injector fuel rails is there will always be a squirt out of the fuel rail port if the engine has run in past weeks (although I just though I could have a leaky injector or 2 or 6). Have not noticed any black smoke from the exhaust (rich condition caused by leaking injector(s)).

I'm thinking the fuel pressure regulator that is integrated with/to the fuel pump assembly.

Have sent an email to Delphi asking how am I supposed to get a replacement pump without rendering the Jeep useless while waiting for them to send me a new pump.

Anyone got any thoughts or similar experience with the Bosch pumps?

Last edited:
When I went to lunch, looked for stored codes - got a P0301. But other than a hard start, engine runs smooth after about 8-10 seconds.

Well, FWIW - measured fuel rail pressure today - 52psi running, pressure immediately falls to near zero within 3-5 seconds of killing the engine.

Everyone recommends Bosch for the replacement - and that’s what’s in it.

Tohughts?

It’s possible you have a faulty replacement fuel pump. It happens from time to time unfortunately.

Bosch fuel pumps are top notch.

Reactions: taylormade73
I thought you said a Delphi is what's in it?
Well, again I have had my head somewhere that it stinks -

I did put a Delphi pump in in 2019.

Ordered a Bosch 67726 yesterday from CarID - $~$190 + tax/shipping = $~$202 (they beat Amazon by about $20.00 and have recently delivered in about the same amount of time).