Time for Aux lights...

Vulture

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Hi everyone, it's getting to be time on my build to think about auxiliary LED lighting. Before I spend some cash and go to the task of mounting and wiring extra lighting, I thought I'd put this out there and get everyone's experienced opinion on the topic. I've looked at all the options, overhead light bars, pillar mount, hood mount, bumper, etc. Light bars, cubes, round, flood, driving, spot....It just goes on forever! I have no personal experience with auxiliary lighting on my TJ. So here's the questions; How much is actually enough? In your experience, which mounting positions actually work the best? Has anyone had problems with glare on the hood and fenders from high-mount lights? Anything that's an absolute no-go? Spot? Flood? Brand recommendation? How do you have your lights set up? Thanks in advance for any input and advice/pics that you have to offer!

Reactions: Chris
I've said it once and I'll say it again (and I stand firmly on this one). There is absolutely, positively, no reason whatsoever that you would need auxiliary lighting with a good set of LED headlights.

Case in point: I bought a set of Truck Lite LED headlights. I was thinking I would need some LED fog lights and an LED light bar to go with them before having installed the headlights. Boy was I wrong... I mean I was REALLY wrong.

Those headlights are so amazingly bright, that when we hit the back roads (the ones with no street lights and no traffic) out here at the Oregon Coast (where it's as dark as can be), I can see so well it's just mind blowing. On high beams these things light up the entire night and then some, it's like having spotlights!

So I suggest some nice LED headlights. Then you also spare yourself the stupid look (my opinion of course) of light bars and LED cube lights (which has become a played out as halos if you ask me).

Just my suggestion, but it's coming from someone who has first hand experience!

And if you are interested in LED headlights, this is a thread I always refer people to:
Jeep Wrangler TJ Headlight Upgrade Options

Hi Vulture. I am maybe half a step ahead of you in this process, and only because I have decided that I'm going to get a roof rack. I got really spoiled with the added cargo space of my old LJ and that has made the decision to buy a Gobi Ranger Rack for my TJ almost a no brainer, and kind of gives me an obvious mounting location, or at least makes deciding on the location easier. As always with my jeep I consider the purpose I am building it for, that plays especially true for aux. lighting. My LJ had pillar lights and some cubes on the front and rear bumper that kind of took a beating based on their location and mine geographically at the time (Pacific North West). For me balancing out cost vs. function/performance I previously went with halogens over LED but again geography, light placement, and purpose made the halogen choice a no brainer then. For my upcoming choice it will definitely be 4 PIAA LP560 6″ LED's mounted right in the rack. Down side is they are running about $400 a set:eek:

Chris is right but you can get the Chinese LEDs which are close to brightness and 1/4 the price. Plus throw some led fogs up high to project above any brush (should your terrain need any) and you have just as bright field for less than 1/2 the cost of name brand LED headlights

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: StG58
My stock fog had cracked lenses and were yellow in color to my led headlamps. Just removed them and replaced them with LED Nilights from amazon for $16. So don't really need more lighting in the front. I'm not into the cool looking factor. Also, if you do trail runs with Jeep groups nothing worse than getting blinded with the light bars from the 5 Jeeps behind you.
That is my opinion.

Reactions: JMT
Sorry for the slow reply, but thanks everyone for your input. Over the weekend one of my friends gave me a 22" light bar so I'm going to mount it temporarily and see if I like it. A while back I had a headlight go out and so I changed out my stock headlight bulbs for some Sylvania Xtravision lamps. They are much brighter than the stock ones but don't put out as much light as I would like. I believe I will check out the LED headlight replacements for starters. Thanks again for taking the time to reply to my questions!

A good set of headlights is the key it appears. The only "auxiliary" lighting that I've found to be more useful than annoying is a set of backup / work lights. Wired so that you can switch for alway on, always off and on with the backup lights. Those are useful.

@Chris What color are those Truck Lite headlights? Are the pure white? Those look great, but I want a stockish look...in other words, I don't want my headlights looking like a modded civic with 6000K+ HID/LED with a blue or purple hue...

@Chris What color are those Truck Lite headlights? Are the pure white? Those look great, but I want a stockish look...in other words, I don't want my headlights looking like a modded civic with 6000K+ HID/LED with a blue or purple hue...

They are pure white near as I can tell. I don't detect any hint of blue in them whatsoever, and definitely no purple.

I prefer the warmer 2800-3200 of halogens. And in snow country remember LEDs do not generate any heat so you will be stopping often in snow storms or following traffic on a snowy road to wipe off the snow, ice build up.

I prefer the warmer 2800-3200 of halogens. And in snow country remember LEDs do not generate any heat so you will be stopping often in snow storms or following traffic on a snowy road to wipe off the snow, ice build up.
That second part is important. We get freezing rain around here off and on all winter. Not only is it "special" to get around in but it coats everything in ice. Sometimes a half inch thick. LEDS won't defrost on their own, so you have to get out and chip it off. Since I can't afford the heated Trucklights right now I'm running H4 halogens. Keeps things nicely defrosted.

And in snow country remember LEDs do not generate any heat so you will be stopping often in snow storms or following traffic on a snowy road to wipe off the snow, ice build up.
There are LED lights available with built-in heaters for those in snow country.

On a related note, I took apart my original factory fog lights that had frosted up and tried cleaning them with everything I could find. The only thing that worked was a glass-top stove cleaner and that worked perfectly. I am thinking of putting some LED bulbs in it since I like the look of the vintage fog lights.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk