Timing of dash and taillights is off when using headlight knob

cash

Supporting Member
New to Jeeps and to the forums just trying to learn as much as possible.

So, I found a low cost TJ to start with... 1997 SE 2.5L manual, soft-top with half-doors, and just over $200k. But, 2 owners (they were related), local deal, no rust, and it runs great. Just needed a lot of cleaning but looks much better. I plan to drive it to work, just a few miles, on nice days.

I have a little electrical mystery I can't seem to figure out. The headlights work when the knob is pulled to the second detent. The dash lights and tail lights (I assume these are linked somehow) only work if I slowly pull out the knob and hit a real little spot between the detents.

So, I can't drive at night because there is no way to get the dash/tail lights on with the headlights. The blinkers work all the time.

I have order 2 new switches and one OEM 1997 used factory switch... and after swapping them out, they all do the same thing.

I also noticed that the wiring connector that the switch plugs into (it has a red top) has one little area with just a hint of melting, but the internal metal parts all look in good order. I have ordered a factory OEM replacement and am thinking about splicing it in with butt connectors.

The previous owner also put in a new steering column and ignition, so not sure if this would affect the lights in any way?

Anyone ever heard anything like this before? Any advice?

Okay, I can't remember 100%, but I want to say I saw someone about a year or so ago with this exact same issue, and it ended up being the same thing, a melted connector that plugs into the switch.

I'm betting that's your problem!

Wired in a new (used oem factory) wiring connector and it is doing the same thing?

I guess this is not all that common. Any ideas on what might be causing it?

Okay, so if this ever happens to anyone in the future... check the fuse #1 in the glovebox.

That was it. I find it weird that slowly pulling the headlight know would bypass the fuse and allow the tail lights and dash lights to come on at one small section. But it really does. Either way, it is all squared away now.

Next time I will save myself a world of headache and check the fuses first.

Hallelujah! I just joined this forum tonight. I have been through switches and wiring connectors and mechanics and everything under the sun. I have a '98 TJ Mine started right after I changed the dash lights to LED's, so you can imagine everything I've tried..Lord have mercy, I had absolutely no idea a blown fuse would act like that. Thank you so much... I'm headed out for a night drive NOW.

Awesome.(I feel like the happiest idiot right now, but don't care..3 months of pulling hair)

Hallelujah! I just joined this forum tonight. I have been through switches and wiring connectors and mechanics and everything under the sun. I have a '98 TJ Mine started right after I changed the dash lights to LED's, so you can imagine everything I've tried..Lord have mercy, I had absolutely no idea a blown fuse would act like that. Thank you so much... I'm headed out for a night drive NOW.

Awesome.(I feel like the happiest idiot right now, but don't care..3 months of pulling hair)
Haha that is awesome, man. I can certainly relate. Enjoy the evening drive, it’s a beautiful night here in the mid-south!

Haha that is awesome, man. I can certainly relate. Enjoy the evening drive, it’s a beautiful night here in the mid-south!

So many times I've found Google searches for my problem, and someone has a forum post about it but they never update how they fixed the problem. Thank you OP for updating how you fixed it!

Reactions: cash
I just bought a 98 wrangler and had the same lamp light knob issue. I would have to find the exact sweet spot where my headlights and tail lights worked at the same time by pushing the knob in and out. I was preparing to replace the light switch when I found your post. Checked the fuse #1 and sure enough it was burned. You saved me a ton of time, money, and headaches!!! Thanks a million for your post!!!!