Timing

ptuttle78

So I'm having the no crank no start issue. Friend of mine said he believes the timing is off. Can anyone tell me how I can check this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First and foremost, why would the timing be off? Did you do something that involved the timing?

If it was running fine before this, and then just suddenly wouldn't start anymore for no reason (meaning you didn't mess with anything), then it can't be the timing.

More information is needed.

Well it was fine. I was driving, and I would push on the gas and it would die out. No it won't start or turn over. I had mechanic tell me air was being sucked in through the exhaust

The timing is 100% controlled by the engine computer (PCM). The timing cannot be adjusted by rotating the distributor as was done with older cars.

The timing could only be off if 1) the distributor was installed 180 degrees out which is impossible unless the distributor had been replaced just before it wouldn't start, or 2) the timing chain slipped so the cam is no longer in synch which is unlikely unless the engine has extremely high mileage. Like over 250k miles for example.

Could be a bad crankshaft position sensor, possibly a bad camshaft position sensor.

I doubt it's a timing issue.

Did the Check Engine light go on at any point before the engine stalled?

No check engine light. No codes. I have replaced the crank sensor. The distributor was replaced, but it ran fine after that. I checked battery, that's good. Checked fuses and relays. Has a new starter. Has bout 130,000 miles on jeep

Should I check camshaft sensor?

If the camshaft sensor was bad it would definitely throw a code. So all of this just suddenly happened and now it won't start?

So it doesn't crank or even attempt to start at all? It could very well be the battery... Seriously, see how many volts it's putting out.

Yeah, no crank. I feel like it has to be something electrical, but I'm puzzled on what it may be. I will check voltage on battery. All gauges and lights come on. I had fuel pump replaced plus fuel injectors

When you say no crank, do you mean the starter is not trying to crank the engine? Cranking is not the same as starting.

What's the difference between no crank and no start

Crank is derived from the olden days when you actually had a crank you stuck in the front of the engine to turn it over to get it to start and run.

When you crank it over, that means the starter is turning the flywheel and the pistons are going up and down. If it won't start, that means it stops turning over as soon as you turn the ignition key to the run position away from the crank or start position.

No crank condition means you turn the key to the start position to engage the starter and it doesn't turn the engine over.

Crank is derived from the olden days when you actually had a crank you stuck in the front of the engine to turn it over to get it to start and run.

When you crank it over, that means the starter is turning the flywheel and the pistons are going up and down. If it won't start, that means it stops turning over as soon as you turn the ignition key to the run position away from the crank or start position.

No crank condition means you turn the key to the start position to engage the starter and it doesn't turn the engine over.

Thank you for clarifying that for me

Reactions: Chris