Distributor timing

Litesaver

1997 Jeep wrangler 4.0. I changed the timing chain and have installed a new distributor. I have it lined up on zero on the balancer and as you can see in my picture it is 1/8 to 1/4 inch off lining up with the hole. If it is that close could i be off one tooth? If not what am i missing?

IMG_0205.jpeg

1997 Jeep wrangler 4.0. I changed the timing chain and have installed a new distributor. I have it lined up on zero on the balancer and as you can see in my picture it is 1/8 to 1/4 inch off lining up with the hole. If it is that close could i be off one tooth? If not what am i missing?

View attachment 521664

You can adjust that by rotating the distributor, use a drill bit as an alignment tool. You may have to sync the cam and crank sensors with a scan tool

Before setting the distributor, you need to make sure the engine is at TDC on the compression stroke for cylinder #1. Here's a simple way to check: Take out the spark plug from the #1 cylinder, cover the hole with your finger, and slowly turn the crankshaft. When you start feeling air pushing out, that's the compression stroke. Keep turning until the piston reaches TDC. The balancer's mark should line up perfectly with the zero on the timing tab, showing that the piston is at the top. If everything checks out, you're good to go.

I assume your 97 distributor has the foot for the mounting bolt like my YJ and it can't be rotated to align.

If so, and you've tried multiple times to align the oil pump slot and distributor, you're going to have to remove the distributor gear roll pin and rotate the gear 180 degrees on the shaft and put the roll pin back in. You're essentially a half a tooth off on the distributor and cam gears. I had to do this on a new distributor I put in the YJ.

If you've changed the chain and the crank hasn't been rotated at all, the timing marks on the sprockets will be facing each other.

When they are aligned like that, although #1 is at TDC, it is #6 that is at TDC on the firing stroke.

If that is the case, rotate the crank a full revolution so the timing marks align again, and the #1 will be at TDC on the firing stroke.

If the crank has been turned, and the #1 spark plug hole is in accessible with your finger or thumb use the #2 spark plug hole to feel for compression as the crank is rotated.

When compression is felt on #2 rotate the crank the 2/3 turn it needs to get the timing marks lined up, and #1 will be at TDC on firing stroke.

With that done and distributor aligned with #1 HT lead position the alignment hole should line up.