Tinnitus warning for my fellow Jeepers

Wow this is a great topic I never thought about this before but being another old guy with starting to get hearing loss it makes sense and I will start wearing some or is it to late ?
hearing damage is absolutely cumulative. It's never too late to start. You may not get back what you've lost but it will certainly help you keep what you still have.

Reactions: 707kevin
So did I when I was only 55. It went to hell a few years after that. All of my loud noise experience was when I was much younger and in the military, it just took time to manifest itself. The VA agreed it happened while I was in Vietnam 1969-70 and gave me a pair of really expensive blue-tooth enabled hearing aids. They do make things louder but I still have trouble understanding some of what is said.

Thank you for your service. Hearing damage seems to be almost universal among the servicemembers I know and it's tragic to me that the military seems to continually fail to prevent something that should be preventable.

My grandfather had hearing damage from his time in the AF working around jets right after Korea. It got worse with a career in law enforcement and all the firearm activity without ear pro. I remember him telling me about it when I was a kid, including a particular incident when a .38 was discharged inches from his head. I heeded his warning around guns, and never have been around jet engines but I wish I'd taken it more seriously when it comes to the other loud stuff.

wanting to be proactive about my hearing ive ordered a new twill soft top and the recommended NOICO 80mm sound deadening material, also following @Chris and doubling up by adding an additional 150mm layer on top of that. will take DB measurements before and after each upgrade.

Reactions: Tob and Chris
Yes use ear plugs for sure, I use them for all highway trips. I have had tinnitus for years and it sucks. Caused no doubt by my exposure to some very loud noises and lots of exposure to loud military aircraft interiors many years ago.

Not to mention I now have to wear a pair of hearing aids. It sucks getting old and you young farts, your hearing is not invincible as mine turned out not to be. Abuse it and end up with tinnitus and be hard of hearing.
Same problem, same reasons, except I'm still flying for a living. I'm just a glutton for punishment, I guess. Well, that and I'm just not real smart...

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Same problem, same reasons, except I'm still flying for a living. I'm just a glutton for punishment, I guess.
Not sure if appropriate for what you're flying but have you tried an ANC headset from Bose or David Clark? I converted my DC to ANC and the results were more than impressive.

Not sure if appropriate for what you're flying but have you tried an ANC headset from Bose or David Clark? I converted my DC to ANC and the results were more than impressive.
I fly helicopters and have been wearing a helmet of one type or another for 40-plus years. Right now I have an HGU-84 which is current Navy issue and is a great improvement over the SPH-3 that I started out with when I was a wee young lad. I tried the ANC a while back and liked it a lot but it masked the warning horn and some of the sounds I need to be listening to on startup and shutdown. I am currently running an Oregon Aero hush kit which does help a lot. At least my last hearing test earlier this year showed no further deterioration, so that's something. The VA issued me a set of those fancy bluetooth hearing aids a few years back. They are OK, I suppose, and they are not bad for watching TV or conversations with my wife, but the sound reproduction is so bad as to have totally destroyed my ability to listen to and appreciate music, and that's a big deal to me.

Very cool, though I will admit that helicopters scare me lol. My last flight in a Huey in 1969 ended in a very hard "landing" after an auto-rotation due to the loss of the tail rotor.

As a fixed wing pilot I did learn what keeps helicopters in the air... they're so ugly the earth repels them. 🤣

I am in the ringing and what? crowd. My Step-father who was a Dr. Told me as you age you either lose your balance or your hearing. He lost his balance and I am losing my hearing, plus 30+yrs in the Railroad World didn't help.