Tips for replacing shocks

AussieShane

Supporting Member
I have on the way front & rear Bilstein B6 offroad shock absorbers (stock to 40mm lift) to replace the flogged out OEM's (front) and POS Repco's (rear).

Any tips on removing the old ones? I've heard the upper bolts on the rears can be a PITA to remove and are prone to snapping, so I would really like to avoid that outcome... and any other potential dramas.

I soaked my bolts with pb blaster a day before. Needed a socket universal joint with the extensions for an easy flush reach. Fortunately mine backed out as they should.

Reactions: AussieShane
How did you soak the upper bolts at the rear?

remove your rear wheels & wheel well liners then look above the frame in a direct line with the shocks & you'll be able to see the upper shock mount bolts, there's just enough room to shoot them from there even without any body lift

* you can actually get to them without removing anything but it makes it easier for the whole installation process...

When I changed out my stock shocks for the first time, I greased the bolts and have been doing so every time since. I stopped checking to see if anything came loose a long time ago.

I live in the Salt Belt and was pretty worried about getting my upper rear shock bolts out. I soaked them with Kroil every couple of days for a couple of weeks. Then took a 3/8" impact driver, gave each bolt 1 light "hit" in the direction to tighten them and then reversed and spun them out. Mine came right out without breaking. Good luck with yours!
By the way, I've been to Wollongong several times, I spent about 6 months living in Inverell, NSW and traveling around. I LOVED Australia!!

Last edited:
Reactions: JMT and AussieShane
I didn’t have any issues with mine but my Jeep originated in Texas and is now in Mississippi. No rust here.

No swivels just extensions on my ratchets

Good luck. If your not using air I would certainly soak first just Incase especially is your in a salt or rust area

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2005 RHD TJ Sport
2010 BMW 528xi

Thanks guys. I've sprayed them good this arvo with Selley's RP7 (never seen PB Blaster for sale here), but the bolts looks in good shape. Considering the winters here get to a chilling 6 degrees C minimum, we don't have salted roads, so I'm feeling pretty confident, will be giving it a go tomorrow.

Reactions: JMT
Job done, had no problems getting the top rear bolts out and they were in good shape. The hardest part of the job was getting the rear shocks back in the bottom brackets. I also put plenty of anti seize on the rear top bolts before reinstalling, not that I am expecting to revisit this job any time soon.

Job done, had no problems getting the top rear bolts out and they were in good shape. The hardest part of the job was getting the rear shocks back in the bottom brackets. I also put plenty of anti seize on the rear top bolts before reinstalling, not that I am expecting to revisit this job any time soon.
Hi,

How is the ride with the new shocks. Just curious to see if you notice any improvement.

Lou

Good work!