Tips on ordering a new F350

B00mb00m

The Church of Cutting Brakes of Atlas-Front Digs
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
So it seems like we all agree a new F350, Savvy Midarm, and Swayloc are necessary pieces of equipment these days. I'm thinking about ditching my 2005 6.0h-no and moving to a new 7.3 gasser crew cab. The online reviews make it sound like its a good fit for what i do which is 1/month towing of my jeep and i'd like to add a slide-in camper down the road also. Since i know a few of you have recently purchased new Fords, i'm looking for your advice on options or features or what you like and what you don't like. What would you do different if you did it again? I've never purchased a new truck and never ordered one from factory but it seems like the best option these days with scarce truck availability and probably the best time to dump the 6.0 due to strong used market.

I'm looking for basically a work truck focused on reliability with only the most useful things added for creature comforts. Looking to stay as close to $50K as possible. Here's what i'm thinking:
F350 - Antimatter Blue
7.3 gasser with 4.30 elec locking rear diff
XL trim level with steel rims (i like 17" tires)
FX4 "offroad" package for skid plates
Power equip group (anti theft and power locks - i had my Ford stolen last year so this is important)
Snow Plow/Camper - rear stabilizer bar and slide in camper certification (whatever that means)
XL value package - chrome bumpers + cruise control
Spray in Bedliner Tough bed
BLIS - Cross Traffic Alert: this seems useful for $500 because I've backed into 2 cars with my ford and blindspots suck.
Rear window with power sliding - i like being able to reach into canopy or cab sometimes.
Front + Rear mud flaps
Front + rear wheel liners
Cloth interior (instead of vinyl)
Carpet Delete
Integrated brake controller
Upfitter switches (this will be nice when adding house battery and stuff for camper)

NOT GETTING:

• Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera System with Pro Trailer Backup Assist - Is this really really really awesome and useful to those who have it? It seems like just a bunch of stuff that can break.
  • Pre-collision Assist with Emergency Braking and Forward Collision Warning - on paper this sounds useful but also sounds like a bunch of complication that can break. I think this option makes windshield replacement SUPER expensive. It's only $105 so the cost is not a problem just wondering if its useful and reliable or not.
With a company discount plan it comes to $50,867. Did any of you finance through Ford? My local credit union has good auto rates.

I’m probably a bad one to ask since I added every option except steering assist.

I think you’ll be happy as spec’d.

I would say add the 360 cameras if you can as they are great for parking and navigating tight spaces but I believe they only come with the pro backup assist which is dumb and I’ve never used mine. But I wouldn’t buy one without those cameras.

Reactions: D M
It's been a while since I bought a new vehicle, but I checked loan rates with my credit union before I purchased. The rate the dealer initially offered was higher than my credit union, but the dealer quickly matched the credit union rates.

I’m probably a bad one to ask since I added every option except steering assist.

I think you’ll be happy as spec’d.

I would say add the 360 cameras if you can as they are great for parking and navigating tight spaces but I believe they only come with the pro backup assist which is dumb and I’ve never used mine. But I wouldn’t buy one without those cameras.
Do you know how the camera system works when a canopy is used?

Do you know how the camera system works when a canopy is used?
Cameras in grill, side mirrors, back of cab and tailgate. If any are blocked you lose that segment.

Looks like this

1639256036589.jpeg

I've ordered a couple of vehicles now. Try to stay away from the dealer installed options. They are way more expensive than what you can add aftermarket... Even if you buy the same stuff. Buy weathertech floor mats and pass on the Ford ones. My FX4 F150 had the all weather mats, and they were not very good. I bought weather Techs afterwards and they are WAY better.

I'd also investigate the spray in bed liner. Go to your local line x place. Obviously price it out, and if they do it at the factory, it's probably worth ticking the box.

Power sliding rear window is nice. I miss that option. My Ford had it, my Colorado does not.

Reactions: B00mb00m
Did you consider going the diesel route?
I mean I'm running diesel 6.0 right now and I LOVE the turbo power but fuck there is about 30lbs of shit in a 10lb bag for a 2022 6.7L. I don't have time to wrench on a diesel. I also don't think I tow heavy enough to justify it. The 7.3L had gets about same power and mpg as my 6.0. also I drive a lot of short trips and I don't like the propensity of diesel to gel up in cold weather.

I'd stay away from Ford. 😉
Oh, take a joke!

You know what FORD stands for, right?
Found On Road Dead
Fix Or Repair Daily

I did have a bad experience with a 2004 that had the Vortec 5.4L. That engine just made it hard to work on anything.

Hoping for the best for you!

• Haha
Reactions: D M and B00mb00m
I mean I'm running diesel 6.0 right now and I LOVE the turbo power but fuck there is about 30lbs of shit in a 10lb bag for a 2022 6.7L. I don't have time to wrench on a diesel. I also don't think I tow heavy enough to justify it. The 7.3L had gets about same power and mpg as my 6.0. also I drive a lot of short trips and I don't like the propensity of diesel to gel up in cold weather.
I commute 1.7 miles to work with my 6.7, I have an unlimited car wash pass for a car wash on the way that I use in order to make the trip a bit longer. No problems so far and 1050 lbft or torque FTW

I commute 1.7 miles to work with my 6.7, I have an unlimited car wash pass for a car wash on the way that I use in order to make the trip a bit longer. No problems so far and 1050 lbft or torque FTW
Bringing the Trimmer to Moab, Ryan? Better not leave the keys where I can see them…

I opted for a Lariat with all of the packages except moonroof. My thinking was that I'll get comfortable driving and parking it, but if the cameras and safety systems can reduce stress by acting as a 2nd set of eyes on a long trip I'll arrive less fatigued.

Check your state registration laws. And calculate what you're towing. I'm paying $100 more per year for the F350 vs F250. But I needed the higher payload rating for the gooseneck.

I ordered from Granger Ford in Iowa. They're 2% under invoice (9.5%ish under MSRP).

The less options and packages you order the sooner you'll get it. A stripped truck will be about 2 months, mine is estimated at 6 months out.

Reactions: Apparition
@Apparition I forget what you said about the automatic cruise control, if somebody brakes in front of you like braking before an exit, does your truck only not apply the accelerator (so you'll slinky towards them), or will it actually apply the brakes (to maintain the gap)?

Also, if you're not going to be towing long or heavy, I'd go gas personally.

I've never owned a diesel, but I can already see the quirks:

1) Needs DEF
2) Expensive oil changes
3) Not all gas stations have diesel

If you are towing heavy or long, the pros are:

1) Larger sweeping diesel pumps that some stations have.
2) Exhaust brake to hold your load going down hill.
3) Turbo for improved performance at elevation.

@Apparition I forget what you said about the automatic cruise control, if somebody brakes in front of you like braking before an exit, does your truck only not apply the accelerator (so you'll slinky towards them), or will it actually apply the brakes (to maintain the gap)?
It has applied the brakes dependent on how slow they are.

• Love
Reactions: toximus