Tips on Replacing the Spark Plug Boots 2004 4.0 TJ?

John Scoggins

TJ Enthusiast
Any good tips on changing the spark plug boots on a 04' TJ with 4.0. I know the manual says they are part of the coil rail (not changeable by themselves) and the last time I changed the plugs the boots were prey well installed on the rail so I did not mess with them. Now I have a good light show at night from #6 and a ticking sound, temporarily fixed with tape but need to change the boots.

Do I just yank them out of the rail, cut them off any good suggestions?

I would assume the boot has some type of adhesive holding the boot on coil rail. You should be able to carefully cut through the rubber with razor and then peel the boot off and replace with new one. You may want to replace all six.

I sure you'll get someone to chime in who's replaced theirs.

Here's a link for the boots at Rock Auto
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...ignition,spark+plug+/+coil-on-plug+boot,10150

You should be able to carefully cut through the rubber with razor and then peel the boot off and replace with new one. You may want to replace all six.

That was what I was thinking but would sure like some advise from someone who has done this, and oh yes I will be replacing all six since I am there

That was what I was thinking but would sure like some advise from someone who has done this, and oh yes I will be replacing all six since I am there

I just replaced my plugs this past weekend (also 04' 4.0) and made sure to inspect boots while in there. I do believe that @flyinfish is correct, they did not appear to be fastened on, just glued. Mine were snug and would not budge when I tried to manipulate them. Could not see any other way they would have been attached...

Reactions: John Scoggins