Tire advice for 97 TJ

Figuring the previous owner did not upgrade the gearing; then your factory gearing is 3.07s.
The original tires were probably 215/75x15 that were 27.7", the present tires are 32.8" and the tires you are looking to go to are 30.6".
Your Jeep will feel sluggish when accelerating due to the wrong gearing for the tire size; to get the gearing to where it should be for that 32.8" tire you will need 4.11s and the 30.6" tire will require 3.73s.
Thanks for that information. That really helps with gearing ratio if i go with the 255's which
would be 3.7. If i am reading you correctly.
So you think that moving from stock 215's up to 255's is enough of a leap. Way down from the
current 305's.

Not true. If it's a 1997 4.0L, the gearing could be 3.07, 3.55, or 3.73.
Thanks. I guess i have more research to do. Wish it was closer. Currently in storage
out of town. ( Canadian winters). I am looking into getting new rubber and looking for advice
on sizes. 305's on it now are too big for what i want and not likely to be doing much, is any. driving
off road.

Thanks. I guess i have more research to do. Wish it was closer. Currently in storage
out of town. ( Canadian winters). I am looking into getting new rubber and looking for advice
on sizes. 305's on it now are too big for what i want and not likely to be doing much, is any. driving
off road.
When you get to see it, check the rear diff tag for the gear ratio. This pic shows 3.73.

Dana axle tag.jpg

Yes. They came with 3 options. 1997 is the only year a TJ had 3.55 gears. Lots of XJs have them.
Since he has a manual transmission then unless the Jeep was specially ordered with the other gears the manual transmission always came with 3.07s. The XJs only came with 3.55 gears IF they had a automatic transmission OR if the XJ was a 4 cylinder then it could have 4.11s or 4.56s.

Since he has a manual transmission then unless the Jeep was specially ordered with the other gears the manual transmission always came with 3.07s. The XJs only came with 3.55 gears IF they had a
You are wrong.
Since he has a manual transmission then unless the Jeep was specially ordered with the other gears the manual transmission always came with 3.07s. The XJs only came with 3.55 gears IF they had a automatic transmission OR if the XJ was a 4 cylinder then it could have 4.11s or 4.56s.
You're wrong again. I've had 1997 TJs with 3.55 and 3.73 and XJ autos with 3.73 gears (tow package).

You are wrong.

You're wrong again. I've had 1997 TJs with 3.55 and 3.73 and XJ autos with 3.73 gears (tow package).

With all the XJ members that I was exposed to on NAXJA; I haven't heard of a manual transmission with the Tow Package and 3.73 gears. Not saying they don't exist; just never heard of one. As for the TJ having 3.55s and 3.73s; was this with an automatic or manual transmission and was it a Special Order ?
IF they were Special Orders; that would explain the gearing on TJs.

Can't he just run his VIN code and see what the Jeep was built with? Seems the easiest way to know.
And tires are an easy upgrade so OP can decide which tire he wants at the last minute. No need to decide now if it's sitting in storage all winter. Once you know what gearing you actually have then you can decide how big (or small) you want to go.

With all the XJ members that I was exposed to on NAXJA; I haven't heard of a manual transmission with the Tow Package and 3.73 gears. Not saying they don't exist; just never heard of one. As for the TJ having 3.55s and 3.73s; was this with an automatic or manual transmission and was it a Special Order ?
IF they were Special Orders; that would explain the gearing on TJs.
My XJ was an auto with 3.73 gears and tow package. My 97 TJs were 5 speeds.
p.s. From my old XJ forum;
Gearing

3.07 - used with 4.0L engine / manual transmission
3.31 - only available on older (pre87?) 2 door XJs with "Fuel Economy" package
3.55 - used with 4.0L engine / automatic transmission
3.73 - found in some XJs with the towing package
4.10 - used with 2.5L engine usually, and older XJs with the "Off-Highway Vehicle" package.
4.56 - rare but can be found on some older (~ 89 ~) models with 2.5L engine and auto transmission

Can't he just run his VIN code and see what the Jeep was built with? Seems the easiest way to know.
And tires are an easy upgrade so OP can decide which tire he wants at the last minute. No need to decide now if it's sitting in storage all winter. Once you know what gearing you actually have then you can decide how big (or small) you want to go.
It doesn't work on Jeeps built before 1998.
Instant Build Sheet.
Equipment Listing (force.com)

It doesn't work on Jeeps built before 1998.
Instant Build Sheet.
Equipment Listing (force.com)

Some dealerships will provide a Build Sheet / Equipment Listing / Options Report (they go by a few different names) for older Jeeps. I simply asked when I was in for parts for my '88 MJ & '89 XJ and they were happy to print them out for me.

Reactions: TheBoogieman
My XJ was an auto with 3.73 gears and tow package. My 97 TJs were 5 speeds.
p.s. From my old XJ forum;
Gearing

3.07 - used with 4.0L engine / manual transmission
3.31 - only available on older (pre87?) 2 door XJs with "Fuel Economy" package
3.55 - used with 4.0L engine / automatic transmission
3.73 - found in some XJs with the towing package
4.10 - used with 2.5L engine usually, and older XJs with the "Off-Highway Vehicle" package.
4.56 - rare but can be found on some older (~ 89 ~) models with 2.5L engine and auto transmission
Thanks for adding to my knowledge base...
An XJ friend has one of those 2.5L with an auto and 4.56 gears.
I remember the seeing a couple of the 4.0L One Ton Commanches with the Dana 44.

Reactions: TheBoogieman
Thanks for the suggestions. All good ideas. I am just trying to gather as much information as
i can beforehand. Will be out of storage April so i would like to be prepared.