Tire Balancing

jeepndogs

TJ Enthusiast
Anyone have major issues getting 33x12.5x15 tires balanced? Had a place yesterday get me a set of STT Pros in that size and in average wanted 20+ Oz each. Tried a set of Wrangler MTr and they were worse.

They tried telling me "most guys with tires that big done care about the ride quality and don't balance them" Then they blamed it on the new rims. I think they either had crap tires or didn't know what they were doing.

Lame and bs excuses! Unbelievable. I wouldn't accept any of that none sense.

Please, go elsewhere. Unless it's too late and you're stuck with them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: brown_mule
I took my rims and didn't get any tires from them. Trying to find an alternate place now. ONE tire called for 2.25 Oz on the outside and 0 on the inside. My comment to them at that point was it's the tires and not the wheels. They looked at me like I had a third eye.

There was one set of tires i had mounted a few years back that took 12 oz. I told them to rotate the tire 180 on the wheel and it balanced out at 2oz and rode smooth.

This was a shop fixing pepboy's horrible balancing.

Anyone have major issues getting 33x12.5x15 tires balanced? Had a place yesterday get me a set of STT Pros in that size and in average wanted 20+ Oz each. Tried a set of Wrangler MTr and they were worse.

They tried telling me "most guys with tires that big done care about the ride quality and don't balance them" Then they blamed it on the new rims. I think they either had crap tires or didn't know what they were doing.
They were trying to unload a huge load of BS on you when they claimed "most guys with tires that big done care about the ride quality and don't balance them". Clearly they just don't know what they're doing. I've run nothing but 35" tires the past 12-14 years and never did a shop not get them balanced. My month-old 35x12.50 MT/Rs are smooth as silk all the way up to 75, I actually hit 85 briefly as a test and they were smooth there too.

It was just a small 4x4 shop that balanced them and they used a standard tire balancing machine. No need for fancy expensive balancer like a Road Force, I haven't paid extra to use one of them in probably 6-7 years since I figured out the secret to a well balanced set of tires is the guy balancing them and the shop giving him enough time, not the type of machine.

Reactions: StG58
I agree Jerry, I don't think they had a clue. I told them to spin it on the rim and they kept saying it won't make a difference. They were blaming the fact they couldn't use clamp on weights on the outer lip. I call BS on that also.

Sounds like they didn't want to mess with them or had no idea what they were doing. Years ago I ran bias ply Swampers in 33 on my XJ. Americas Tire got them balanced, no problem. If those things can be balanced, any tire can be.

I agree Jerry, I don't think they had a clue. I told them to spin it on the rim and they kept saying it won't make a difference. They were blaming the fact they couldn't use clamp on weights on the outer lip. I call BS on that also.

Could be that they have had problems in the past with oversize mud terrains and just didn't care to mess with it. But that doesnt explain why they atleast attempted.

I would not want hammer on weights along my rim if I am going to be going off road. Chances are increased that the wheel weights on the lip would be shifted or knocked off via tight rut, rock, root, or something else.

They could have used clamp on weights on the back side of the rim and stick on's on the inside outer edge of the wheel. What a bunch of ass hats!

I'm not putting up with those types anymore. The moment they say something stupid I'm going to say, "mount em up, I'm taking my business elsewhere!"

Reactions: Rob5589 and StG58
I think that only matters if its not lug centric. My 4runner wheels are hub centric (no tapered nuts) and require hub adapter to balance.

When they were balancing these they were using a centering cone. I have never actually seen anyone balancing with lug adaptors. I do know they make them just never seen them.

I believe lugcentric wheels must be balanced by a lug adaptor when mounted to the machine. Most places don't have one thus they opt for the cone style mount.

I believe lugcentric wheels must be balanced by a lug adaptor when mounted to the machine. Most places don't have one thus they opt for the cone style mount.
99% of the aftermarket wheels we mount on our Jeeps are lug centric. Rarely do my lug centric wheels ever see anything but a cone mount. Probably the very best and truest balance job I've ever had on my 35's happened about a month ago on a cone mount. Lug adapters are preferable but cone mounts can work perfectly well on lug centric wheels too.

@Jerry- yah, I've had lug centric wheels balanced w a cone, no problems. I would say it's truly on the tech who's operating the machine. But I've been told by two different shops (neither that I've utilized) about the lug centric mounting plate. And straight up, I have no idea how my current set where balanced. But they run smooth down the highway ::knock on wood::

Had another shop mount up 5 different tires today.....same result. They said to dynamic balance them it was calling for a ton of weight because if the spoke design of the rim. Did a static balance and they hardly needed any weight. I wasn't to happy about the static balance but they talked me into mounting them on the jeep and driving it. I have to admit it has never driven this smooth. Anyone think the static balance can give me grief down the road???