Tire chain recommendations?

Granite

TJ Enthusiast
Lifetime Supporting Member
I take my other vehicle (Ram 2500) up north deer hunting and want to get a set of tire chains for it. I drive hundreds of miles of unmaintained logging roads that can be pretty rough and when the conditions stack up they get icy and slick. Sometimes there are high pucker sections with a steep downhill around a turn that sends you over a narrow bridge and you need to have traction! Other times you get in fine but conditions deteriorate and I just want to be sure I can get out of the woods.

Any recommendations for a solid set of heavy duty chains that won’t break the bank, handle the rough stuff, won’t pummel my fender wells or damage my wheels? Thanks!

Pewag chains. Expensive as all hell but they're what the delivery companies and a lot of truckers use.

Usually can find used or never touched sets of random brands cheap in the spring and summer.

-Mac

Reactions: Granite
Boy does Pewag’s website suck!

Thanks for the recommendation. I’m struggling to figure out a product code and find exactly the type and size I need from an online retailer. Maybe I need to go into a $hop. 😢

I take my other vehicle (Ram 2500) up north deer hunting and want to get a set of tire chains for it. I drive hundreds of miles of unmaintained logging roads that can be pretty rough and when the conditions stack up they get icy and slick. Sometimes there are high pucker sections with a steep downhill around a turn that sends you over a narrow bridge and you need to have traction! Other times you get in fine but conditions deteriorate and I just want to be sure I can get out of the woods.

Any recommendations for a solid set of heavy duty chains that won’t break the bank, handle the rough stuff, won’t pummel my fender wells or damage my wheels? Thanks!
For anyone to give you an actual recommendation you need to provide the year and tire size and any modifications such as wheel spacers and/or lift. The front tires, where you really need the chains for steering, can be very problematic for clearance. There is a good chance you will need a class S limited clearance chain.

Thanks guys. It’s a 2018 Ram 2500 diesel; stock everything but 285/60R20 General Grabber AT tires.
I wouldn’t think I’d have clearance issues up front, but I will reach out to the local shop here. It will be worth the extra $ for a secure fit.

I picked up a pair of Pewags from the same chain company I got my tractor chains from. They are pricey but they sell quality stuff and have great service, so I feel good about it. I’ll test mounting them this weekend.
Thanks for the tips!

Reactions: bucky
I’ve never have had clearance issues on a truck. The key is to make sure they are on tight. The Centripetal force is immence at hwy speeds. I grew up in Wisconsin and had to put chains on every morning and night in order to get over and back of a hill to my house. It was a town road and the last to get plowed. When it did the snow was packed down to ice. This was in a Chevy Chevette with 3 bags of sand in the back. Here in Ca I need chains for the local mountains and the Sierras to go skying.