Tire Mold ID Numbers

brewtus98

TJ Enthusiast
Found this - a little weird. NO DOT/ Date code markings on 2 out of 5 of the OE tires on the Rubi..

Never seen that before, usually rely on the date code for age of tires.

IMG_0434.JPG

IMG_0435.JPG

This is strange. I worked in a Goodyear store and warehouse for 2 years. I’ve not seen this unless it was a race application. Only thing I can think is Goodyear ran a bunch of tires for Jeep as they were prototyping the TJ??? Seems unlikely given the other tire was manufactured in the middle of ‘04.

What year is your Jeep? Are you certain these are OE tires?

This is strange. I worked in a Goodyear store and warehouse for 2 years. I’ve not seen this unless it was a race application. Only thing I can think is Goodyear ran a bunch of tires for Jeep as they were prototyping the TJ??? Seems unlikely given the other tire was manufactured in the middle of ‘04.

What year is your Jeep? Are you certain these are OE tires?
100% SURE - JEEP only has 10k on it and wheels had never even been off of the rig until I got it. Bought it from business partner of original owner. This jeep is an '04, so prototype doesn't make sense as they used these on '03 Rubicons.

It’s not normal. Like a vin #, each character represents something important to the manufacturer. They use these to track a variety of things, quality control, molds, on and on. Think firestone debacle. How would Firestone know which tires were prone to blow on the explorer? They manufactured different tires to meet Ford’s needs for that vehicle. Could have been any number of things like a compound to improve fuel economy or softer compound to improve braking. It’s done all the time.

Reactions: JMT
100% SURE - JEEP only has 10k on it and wheels had never even been off of the rig until I got it. Bought it from business partner of original owner. This jeep is an '04, so prototype doesn't make sense as they used these on '03 Rubicons.
I agree. Unless the tires were just sitting in the back of some warehouse and got used later in the manufacturing process.

The last 4 number are week and year of manufacture. Those tires are from 23rd week 2004.

DOT is only required to be fully printed on one side of each tire, check the other side. Unless they made a mistake and forgot to insert the numbers into the model they should be there to read.

Yeah, I gotta take a look at the inside sidewall - didn't notice the code there. Jeep was built on 7/1/04 so early June on the tires is correct 23rd week.

I retract all my earlier comments. I assumed you looked for the DOT stamp on both sides of the tires...

I retract all my earlier comments. I assumed you looked for the DOT stamp on both sides of the tires...

It's not uncommon to see partial or blank DOT on one side. Lazy in my opinion, but meets the requirements. Your tires are almost old enough to vote. I would replace them.

It's not uncommon to see partial or blank DOT on one side. Lazy in my opinion, but meets the requirements. Your tires are almost old enough to vote. I would replace them.
HAHAH. Yeah I was a little apprehensive about driving on them. Compound is still soft on tread blocks and not a sign of cracking anywhere. This Jeep was garage kept out of sun it's whole life too. New tires are in the future, but right now I like the total stock look with the old school MT/R's. I only drive 2 miles to work and don't get above 50.

HAHAH. Yeah I was a little apprehensive about driving on them. Compound is still soft on tread blocks and not a sign of cracking anywhere. This Jeep was garage kept out of sun it's whole life too. New tires are in the future, but right now I like the total stock look with the old school MT/R's. I only drive 2 miles to work and don't get above 50.

Being inside helps as UV light breaks down rubber when parked outdoors. It they aren't cracked and still soft, you will most likely be ok. Still wouldn't be taking any road trip on those. Nice Jeep!