Tire Pressure

What's the easiest (cheap too maybe?) solution to airing back up when you get back on the streets? Mine's a DD...

Whenever I go up to the trails, I grab my grandfathers portable air compressor/battery charger. I'm not sure the brand but I can take a picture next time I'm over there if you want. I think he got it for just under $100?

Whenever I go up to the trails, I grab my grandfathers portable air compressor/battery charger. I'm not sure the brand but I can take a picture next time I'm over there if you want. I think he got it for just under $100?
I'm good, thanks! I like these Viair things. Seem easy to use, quick re-inflate, easily portable and $45-50. Great ideas...

This is a great little pump. You don't want one that uses the cigarette lighter as the power source, get one that clamps directly to the battery terminals.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005ASY23I/?tag=wranglerorg-20
I was wondering about that, so thanks! The amp rating on our cigar lighter is sufficient at 20. The one you suggested has greater CFM so should fill faster, and will work up to a 33" tire, which I haven't planned but could be in the future.

I was wondering about that, so thanks! The amp rating on our cigar lighter is sufficient at 20. The one you suggested has greater CFM so should fill faster, and will work up to a 33" tire, which I haven't planned but could be in the future.

You'll burn out the fuse on the cigarette lighter at some point. The direct battery connect is the way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: StG58 and Chris
what is the ideal tire pressure for an everyday running 33x12.50 R15 on 15x8 mags?
A good way to determine the best tire pressure for better wear is to find an open flat area, like a parking lot. Make a wide chalk mark across the tops of all the tires. Drive in a straight line til the chalk mark is wearing off. That will tell you what portion of your tread is in contact with the ground. Air it down til a majority of your tread is in contact. Obviously the outer tread blocks won't show much chalk wear, but if you can find a good balance between the middle and the edges it will maximize your tire life on the road. I've got 33x12.5 and run about 27-28 psi. Don't inflate it to the pressure on the tire sidewall, that's just the maximum pressure the tire can handle.

Reactions: StG58 and Chris
A good way to determine the best tire pressure for better wear is to find an open flat area, like a parking lot. Make a wide chalk mark across the tops of all the tires. Drive in a straight line til the chalk mark is wearing off. That will tell you what portion of your tread is in contact with the ground. Air it down til a majority of your tread is in contact. Obviously the outer tread blocks won't show much chalk wear, but if you can find a good balance between the middle and the edges it will maximize your tire life on the road. I've got 33x12.5 and run about 27-28 psi. Don't inflate it to the pressure on the tire sidewall, that's just the maximum pressure the tire can handle.
The chalk test often results in under inflated tires. Be a little careful using it, an go a few psi more than the test indicates is correct.

Reactions: billiebob
Your tires sound like they have the inappropriately too-stiff Load Range D or E which means you have to air them down further than you would with the more appropriate Load Range C tire.

Even taking a more appropriate Load Range C tire down to 20 psi isn't helping at all, that's really not even airing them down at all. For any Jeep size tire, you have to get them lower than 15 psi before the tire can flex enough on uneven terrain to improve traction. I regularly took my previous 33's down to 10-12 psi and I took my 35's down to 7-8 psi without bead locks. You can take them down to 2-4 psi with bead locks.

JMT, I'd be taking your tires MT/R tires (essentially 31's) down to 10-12 psi without worry that they'll unseat. And Chris I don't know what size tires you're running but don't be afraid to go lower than 15 psi. You'll see a dramatic improvement in traction once you get below 15 psi.

It's harder to unseat a tire than most would guess. I've yet to have a tire unseat in 20 years of offroading.
I am getting ready to go to a 35"loadtire and am debating whether to invest in beadlocks or just go with 15x8 steel wheels. If I can get to 10-12 psi as noted here I am thinkning that will do me just fine. Any thoughts on reasonably priced beadlocks and are they worth it?

I'd stay away from steel just bc they'll tear up on rocks. A normal aluminum rim you can get down to 10-12 without issue. I've seen my tire squished to within 1" of the rim and bead did not break.