Tires & Gears: The more I read the more confused I get...

B B

The title says it all, getting ready to buy some tires and the more I read the more confused I get, not so much about the tires, but the gearing and all that jive talk. I currently have 33x12.50R15LT. Although I like the looks I don't need all that tire and as it is now she won't go over 55mph going down hill in an ice storm. I'm guessing I'm gonna go with 31x10.5 and also guessing that'll get me to where I can reach highway speeds. You have any idea what it's like having an old lady pass you on the highway in a Prius?! At least she was nice enough to wave with one finger.

The title says it all, getting ready to buy some tires and the more I read the more confused I get, not so much about the tires, but the gearing and all that jive talk. I currently have 33x12.50R15LT. Although I like the looks I don't need all that tire and as it is now she won't go over 55mph going down hill in an ice storm. I'm guessing I'm gonna go with 31x10.5 and also guessing that'll get me to where I can reach highway speeds. You have any idea what it's like having an old lady pass you on the highway in a Prius?! At least she was nice enough to wave with one finger.
It gets outta hand pretty quick when runnin big tires. In my opinion ANYTHING over 31s almost has to have a regear. The factory gears are anemic to begin with.

Reactions: Chris and B B
If your Jeep has the stock axles underneath and nobody molested them then there should be a tag on the driver side I believe that should tell you what gears you have. It will say something like 3:73 or 3:07. I personally am running 31' with 3:73 and it barely beats prius's entering the freeway, but once I get up there I can go pretty good till someone makes me slow down then it is the second coming of christ to get back up to the speed limit again. I am not going to re-gear unless something happens and I have too, but if I do I will go to 4:11's.

Something else to consider, if you have a lift high enough for 33's, it will drastically change the look on your jeep if you put 31's on it.

First things first, what size engine, what transmission, and what is your present gear ratio?

Reactions: B B
I don't know what engine you have, but I have a 2006 TJ with the 2.4L 6 Speed 3.73 Gear Ratio with 32's and goes down the road nice. 60 mph in 5th at 2800 rpm. I actually like the gearing with 32's, it makes 5 th gear better. And 6th gear is not needed much.

Reactions: B B