TJ backfiring and dying

Aens offroad

I just bought a new engine for my jeep wrangler and have been having troubles. My exhaust was blue and my engine kept back firing. I have worked on cars myh whole life and have built several VW engines and have done everything I could think of to solve the problem, I fixed the exhaust issue and thought I got it to stop back firing when it randomly did it again, but justg once. Any input on why?

I think you might need to add more information. Year of Jeep, engine replaced, other things replaced, etc. Just 'new engine' is a little vague if you want help...

Reactions: Chris
I think you might need to add more information. Year of Jeep, engine replaced, other things replaced, etc. Just 'new engine' is a little vague if you want help...

X2 to this.

Also, have you scanned it with an OBDII scanner to see if it's throwing any codes? It should be if it's behaving as badly as you say.

Sounds like there's at least a timing problem... like perhaps the distributor was installed 180 out or not timed correctly. Perhaps a bad upstream O2 sensor mixed in there too.