Tj brake light indidcator won't turn off

Andrewcodd24

Hey I need somebody’s help here, I hit a deer this morning on my way to work and in the process I locked my tires up. Now my brake indicator light won’t turn off. I know it’s my proportioning valve that is causing this. But I just don’t know how to get the light to go off without unplugging the harness that goes to it. If someone could help me out here it would be amazing.
Thanks,

You say it's the proportioning valve...how do you know that? Have you had issues with it previously?

If the brake light is on the first two things to check would be make sure the ebrake isn't on, then make sure the fluid level is correct. Those are the only two things that will illuminate the red brake light that I'm aware of.

I would not start troubleshooting by just trying to get the light to go off. That usually is just masking a problem until it becomes a bigger problem.

Cheers,

You say it's the proportioning valve...how do you know that? Have you had issues with it previously?

If the brake light is on the first two things to check would be make sure the ebrake isn't on, then make sure the fluid level is correct. Those are the only two things that will illuminate the red brake light that I'm aware of.

I would not start troubleshooting by just trying to get the light to go off. That usually is just masking a problem until it becomes a bigger problem.

Cheers,
Ebrake is not on and the fluid is right where it should be at. The only thing I can think of is a proportioning valve sensor at this point. I’m going to try taking front calipers off next and bleeding the system. If that does not work, then I have no clue at all.

There is a 'reset' that can be done to the proportioning valve if the mechanism inside gets stuck off-center.

Bleed the brakes in this order right rear, left rear, right front, left front and see if that will get it for you.

Hey I need somebody’s help here, I hit a deer this morning on my way to work and in the process I locked my tires up. Now my brake indicator light won’t turn off. I know it’s my proportioning valve that is causing this. But I just don’t know how to get the light to go off without unplugging the harness that goes to it. If someone could help me out here it would be amazing.
Thanks,
It isn't the proportioning valve. You have shifted the safety shuttle valve in the combination block under the master. Your panic stop did one of two things, it either started a leak in a weak spot in the system or one end had air in it and the resultant pressure differential shifted the valve. You can attempt a reset by stomping the brake pedal a few times with the key on and watching the light to see if it goes off. Or you can do a manual reset by pulling the switch and moving the shuttle back or forward until you see the detent centered. If you do a manual and then hit the brakes again and that turns on the light, you have a leak that needs to be located.

This all assumes you didn't accidentally raise the parking brake handle and forgot to put it back down all the way.

Reactions: Imapepper
There is a 'reset' that can be done to the proportioning valve if the mechanism inside gets stuck off-center.

Bleed the brakes in this order right rear, left rear, right front, left front and see if that will get it for you.
Bleeding the brakes is not an inherent fix since it won't bleed correctly since the shuttle valve's whole purpose is to restrict flow to the front or back brakes if it has been moved.

It isn't the proportioning valve. You have shifted the safety shuttle valve in the combination block under the master. Your panic stop did one of two things, it either started a leak in a weak spot in the system or one end had air in it and the resultant pressure differential shifted the valve. You can attempt a reset by stomping the brake pedal a few times with the key on and watching the light to see if it goes off. Or you can do a manual reset by pulling the switch and moving the shuttle back or forward until you see the detent centered. If you do a manual and then hit the brakes again and that turns on the light, you have a leak that needs to be located.

This all assumes you didn't accidentally raise the parking brake handle and forgot to put it back down all the way.
Thanks it was the safety shuttle valve. Thanks for the help.

Can you tell me how to center the switch, I removed the switch but cant seem to move the valve.