TJ doesn't accelerate like it should

3jeepdad

Just purchased a 2002 wrangler Sahara 4.0. It does not accelerate as it should. My son has a 2002 Cherokee xj and it accelerates as it should. Like a bat of hell. It’s a v6 but I swear it accelerates like a 4 cylinder. Idles and runs as it should until hard acceleration. Any thoughts?

You could start by filling out your profile so we could help you better. What size tires do you have? What mods are done to the TJ? What transmission? What gear ratio?

See what I’m getting at? Help us help you.

You could start by filling out your profile so we could help you better. What size tires do you have? What mods are done to the TJ? What transmission? What gear ratio?

See what I’m getting at? Help us help you.
Automatic transmission
31” tires
throttle body spacer
airaid cold air intake
everything else stock as far as I know.

Automatic transmission
31” tires
throttle body spacer
airaid cold air intake
everything else stock as far as I know.
Suggestion,,,,, remove the throttle body spacer; that accomplishes NOTHING on a fuel injected engine.
31" tires instead of the 28" tires originally issued to the TJ would impact the acceleration some unless the gearing has been upgraded.

Suggestion,,,,, remove the throttle body spacer; that accomplishes NOTHING on a fuel injected engine.
31" tires instead of the 28" tires originally issued to the TJ would impact the acceleration some unless the gearing has been upgraded.
I tried already. I removed it and reconnected everything than the rpm’s went to 3000. It appears the throttle cable was cracking open the butterfly valve

Just purchased a 2002 wrangler Sahara 4.0. It does not accelerate as it should. My son has a 2002 Cherokee xj and it accelerates as it should. Like a bat of hell. It’s a v6 but I swear it accelerates like a 4 cylinder. Idles and runs as it should until hard acceleration. Any thoughts?
Probably that V6 somebody swapped in!

Update: I replaced the MAP sensor with the OEM Mopar part and then adjusted the transmission “kick down cable.. my TJ is now running as it should…
also replaced the spark plugs, Cataclean cleaner, and fuel injector cleaner..
map sensor replace and kickdown cable adjust was the Key!!!!