TJ doesn't engage in 4 Hi and no 4WD dash light

LukesfirstJeep

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
I drove my jeep today for the first time in several weeks. I tried to use 4W Hi and it did not engage. It did engage in 4W Lo, but in either there was no light on the dash indicating it was in 4W. It worked before. I plan to check my transfer case linkage, but was wondering if the linkage was not adjusted properly, would that effect the indicator lights?

If you locate the switch on top of the transfer case just above the front drive shaft and to the left (looking front to back) remove the connector and jump the harness end with a paper clip the 4WD light should illuminate if all is good. The switch just unscrews and they are available for $30 to $40.

Reactions: KCsTJ
Just a follow up for anyone with a similar problem. It's the switch. I finally had time to test it and the light comes on if I jumper the harness. 2HI, 4HI, N, and 4LO all work. 4Lo you can easily feel it in the steering, and after driving today, 4HI also works, but it's not as noticeable in the steering or compared to 4LO or some other brand 4WD systems I've owned.

FWIW, the switch is a PITA to get to, I had to drop my skid to disconnect the switch. I need to win the lottery so I can get a garage with a lift if I want to continue working on my undercarriage. My plan now is to install a Savvy or Novak cable along with the new switch.

Reactions: TJ4Jim