TJ doesn't have factory fogs, but might have the wiring harness

MikekiM

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Pulled out the factory switch bank & cig lighter in preparation for adding a second bank of switches.

My switch bank consists of the rear wiper, rear defroster and one blank. No hard top for me, so I have potentially recovered two spots. The factory blank had a wiring harness plugged into it. I am assuming it is for factory fogs of which I have none.

If this is the factory fog harness I can make use of it as one of the items I am installing a set of Hella 500FF lights. If I do indeed have the factory fog harness, I have a few questions.

What is the fog functionality? On with running lights? On with headlights, Off with high beams?

Where would I find the corresponding pickup point connectors at the front of the rig to wire in the Hella's?

What is the wattage capacity of the factory harness for the fogs? It might make more sense to use the harness that comes with the Hella's.

Google is my friend...

So seems that all TJs are prewired with the same harness regardless of actual options. So likelihood is great that what I see is indeed the connector for the factory fogs.

I also came across the fog light mod that allows the fogs to come on with the high beams. So that answers one more question.

Now.. where do I find the connectors to pick up the fogs at the front of the truck? And what about the draw capacity for the OE harness?

They should be under the front fender area on each side.

foglight plug.jpg

Reactions: MikekiM
Are you sure the switch bank had a fog light switch?
Mine are on the multi-function switch.
I thought only XJs had a fog light switch in the dash.

What do you have to do to get power to these? Can they be wired to turn on with high beams.
check the link I posted above. You can modify the relay or make a jumper to have the figs come on with the high beams
Are you sure the switch bank had a fog light switch?
Mine are on the multi-function switch.
I thought only XJs had a fog light switch in the dash.
Positive. Early TJs don’t have the multi function wand.

I didn’t have the dash switch installed but the wiring is plugged into the back of the blank in the switch bank.

Reactions: Matt888
These figures are from the 2000-2001 FSM. If you have the connectors for the lamps under the fenders, connector behind the dash for the switch, and relays behind the glove box, you "should" be able to plug and play. The fog light switch for the early TJ should be the same as the later XJ.

2000-2001-fog-fuse-switch.jpg

Huge help. Thanks. I was trying to find that very schematic this morning.

I think I am golden. Not sure how robust the harness is so I’ll keep the wattage at whatever the stock fogs were.

I see a relay for rear fog light. Is that legit? Maybe I can use that for the aux rear fogs.

Figure I am going to need harness extensions off the stock front if connections are there. And I’ll likely have to splice into the Hella wiring to the lights.

Last edited:
You are quite welcome, glad to help. US spec probably doesn't have the export wiring but if you find a green "smart relay" behind the glovebox, let me know, that would be interesting. Also, the extensions are available at quadratec and other locations for not too much. I had to use a set for my fog lights to rewire them after the PO had bypassed a faulty multi-function switch instead of replacing the switch. One other thing. The dash fog switches were known to get hot and melt internally, particularly on XJs. They can be easily repaired though with parts from a rear defroster switch.

smart-relay.jpg

You are quite welcome, glad to help. US spec probably doesn't have the export wiring but if you find a green "smart relay" behind the glovebox, let me know, that would be interesting. Also, the extensions are available at quadratec and other locations for not too much. I had to use a set for my fog lights to rewire them after the PO had bypassed a faulty multi-function switch instead of replacing the switch. One other thing. The dash fog switches were known to get hot and melt internally, particularly on XJs. They can be easily repaired though with parts from a rear defroster switch.

View attachment 290653
I had found the extensions from a few vendors.

Poked around this afternoon and found only one connector at drivers front. Oddly, tucked under the horns. Could find the passenger side…. Yet. Still check for the relay tomorrow.

Haven’t figured out what switches to run. Either going to use two OE fit switches ( one for front fogs and one for rear aux reverse lights ) or all matching aftermarket switches.
You could use the fog light wiring to activate a relay, Then add any size lights you want.
I know that can be done, but figuring out how is beyond me. I have a decent grip on 12v conceptually. I understand what the relays do, but designing the setup is not something I am comfortable with..

Last edited:
I have a Green smart relay in my export (Middle East) spec 99 TJ here in Dubai - any ideas on what the smart green relay powers?

I was fishing around behind the glove box I do have a green relay.

Can't find the pig tails under the fenders or anywhere else in the front corners though.

I have a Green smart relay in my export (Middle East) spec 99 TJ here in Dubai - any ideas on what the smart green relay powers?
If it is in the area behind the glove box near the fuse box, it is most likely for a rear fog lamp. You could check the wiring color to be sure.

fog layouts 99_2.jpg

I was fishing around behind the glove box I do have a green relay.

Can't find the pig tails under the fenders or anywhere else in the front corners though.
I wonder if you have an export version. Is the wiring harness connector at the factory blank black or white?

FOG SWITCH CONNECTOR 1.jpg

As mentioned earlier in this thread, I have a white front fog switch connector that was plugged in a blank in the switch panel. That led me to think I might have been pre-wired for factory fogs. But i can't find any connectors under the front fenders. Sure would prefer to use the stock wiring if I have it. The front fogs are mounted.. and I have the Hella harness ready to go.

100% sure my TJ is a domestic build. I have the full history of it.. It has been a Long Island NY car since day one.

Your first post didn't mention that the plug was white (you may have mentioned the color in another thread). A white plug would likely indicate wiring for rear fog lamp.

rear wiring 1.jpg

hmmm... now I am doubting myself on the color. I'll have to reconnect the rear wiper and defroster switches to be sure.

Either way, I can't find any connectors up front. From the schematic above, the rear fog connector (if so equipped) should be in the rear bumper?

Any chance you can locate the color and location of the lead to the reverse lights? Hoping to find it someplace up front so I don't have to run trigger wires aft and back.

You should be able to tell something by looking at the switch connectors. Both front (black) and rear (white) fog switch connectors have 4 wires and use the same color wire but are wired slightly different. The rear defogger switch connector should be gray with 4 wires. The rear wiper/washer switch connector should be white with 6 cavities (5 wires, 1 empty). I really need a better idea of the relays as the wiring is different depending on that. If you could you send photos of your relays at your convenience, I will see what I can figure out.

WIPER DEFOGGER SWITCH CONNECTOR 1.jpg