TJ factory roll bar: available anywhere? Other options?

vintage_mpg

So I'm looking to pick up a decent TJ with low miles - but the owner cut the roll bar up! Long story, but she's missing the rear half of the factory roll cage, as well as the two front forward running sections (from the roll bar forward to the windshield). Was making a sight-seeing rig of the Jeep, so he cut the bars to make extra headroom.

Any ideas as to how to put this back together? Seems like the oem assembly is super difficult to come by, and if you can find one, I've read that they're a bear to try and remove.

What should I be looking to do? Custom build a cage? Buy a weld-in cage? Neither of those options are going to be cheap, starting in the neighborhood of a grand. Skip it altogether?

Any suggestions? So far I've not touched it. It's a decent deal - but it's getting more expensive all the time! Don't want to drag it home only to find that I can't get something decent back in place.
db97e4b3f35d129666adabb29f048295.jpg

Hi @cptmoney ,
When it is plenty after marker roll cage options. The OEM replacement is widely available too, downside it is that you may have to dig a little around to get it. Look on the Facebook market for the fellas that are parting out any TJ, usually cheap plus the road trip. Other fellas around recommend Davey's jeep, they are locate in Oh-i and not sure if they do ship any part. Or if your local junk yard has jeeps chances are that you could found it there.
Keep present that the Jeep on the picture not just have the rear roll cage portion missing it also has the portion between windshield and center bar missing. This portion is quite important and necessary as they it is where the door surrounds get attached when the top is on use.

Reactions: vintage_mpg
Thank you -

Yes, I noticed the missing forward sections as well. They gotta be there as well.

I'll poke around some of my local junk yards and see what turns up.

Are the original roll cages just bolt in? Easy to get out and put in?

Thank you -

Yes, I noticed the missing forward sections as well. They gotta be there as well.

I'll poke around some of my local junk yards and see what turns up.

Are the original roll cages just bolt in? Easy to get out and put in?

Yes, the OEM roll cage is bolt on.

I will be honest, it may not be easy to get it out. Be prepared with few torx bits (i do have impact strength) , a good breaker bar, PB Blaster or Kroil and a torch just in case need a little push. But all is a bet, may you get more lucky and is more easier on your end.

I would also think the rear seat needs to be replaced...certainly does not look factory and is way too high.
You're spot on there. This is a rear seat grin a 70s Chevrolet blazer. Again, with the idea of sightseeing in mind, he bolted in this seat to accommodate more bodies.

I'll keep looking - and thanks for all the great input!