TJ had no power but all of a sudden it does

James T Duncan Sr.

I have had my tj for two years now and it has always been under powered. It is a 4.0 with an automatic, it lacked power when passing and going up the grade to Boone, n.c. When I got it the thing had only 70,000 miles on it, it now has 89,000. No codes runs very smooth never misses, you pull out into traffic you had better have a good gap. Problem not a problem, the other day I pulled out in to traffic and floored it as usual, the thing took off like a jack rabbit, I started to pull over to see if during the night someone had put a v8 in it. Does anyone have an idea as to what might have changed?

I have had my tj for two years now and it has always been under powered. It is a 4.0 with an automatic, it lacked power when passing and going up the grade to Boone, n.c. When I got it the thing had only 70,000 miles on it, it now has 89,000. No codes runs very smooth never misses, you pull out into traffic you had better have a good gap. Problem not a problem, the other day I pulled out in to traffic and floored it as usual, the thing took off like a jack rabbit, I started to pull over to see if during the night someone had put a v8 in it. Does anyone have an idea as to what might have changed?
Like the drag boats I used to race,(they always run better right before they blow up)I’m kidding,this is a new one.maybe someone will chime in.

• Haha
Reactions: D M
Only thing I can think of is mine really seems like like cold air… makes a noticeable difference for mine but not THAT big a difference.

Perhaps your IAT or MAF sensor is going out slowly? IDK

Reactions: chimmike
Maybe you hit the hidden nitro switch?

Does it still feel that way? Changed wheels recently? Done any work on it?

I had that happen to me with automatic trans you did not mention what trans you have. My automatic trans kicked in like never before when i was a passing a car. I was wowed! and then some days later it stopped working all together.

Reactions: AndyG
Fuel pressure, fuel filter, air flow from air box, MAP sensor, Throttle control. The CAT sounds good, I drove mine through a creek once and the CAT got filled with water, it took several days for it to clear out. There is a product called B12 by Berryman. It will clean your entire fuel system but especially the CAT. It had mine cleaned in about two hours of driving and it was like a new Jeep.

I had that happen to me with automatic trans you did not mention what trans you have. My automatic trans kicked in like never before when i was a passing a car. I was wowed! and then some days later it stopped working all together.
This