TJ hardtop question: Do you have to take the soft top completely off

Mikes03TJ

Picking up a hardtop tomorrow but currently have the soft top on. Its currently raining and cold in San Francisco and I can't just drive with the soft top off. Is it possible to install a hardtop over the soft top? Any help with be greatly appreciated.

Yes but it's a bit of a booger to get the soft top packed in tightly enough so the hard top fits over it. The factory did it when the TJ was ordered with the dual top option.

You would need to fold down the soft top, pack it nicely and the hardtop does fit over. At least on my 06 it did when i had the hardtop, no need for it now since im in the caribbean.

Probably worth noting that, while the soft top fits under the hard top, it is also in the way of everything at that point. Kind of crowds what little storage space we have, and if you fold down the rear seat for larger items, the soft top is still in the way. If you have a place to store the soft top, it's probably a better option. Also, should you decided to put the hard top over the folded soft top, and then decide you don't like it? You have to take the hard top back off to get the soft top out of the Jeep. BTDT.

Depending on how far you're going to pick up the hard top, could you put on a bikini top or just rig up a tarp to stay dry-ish? I've seen bikini tops on craigslist for $20.

Carry a hex and pull it when you get there is what I did .

Renting/borrowing a truck would help

Hoped it worked out ok , love mine.

Last edited:
I'm guessing the goal is to drive to pick up your new hardtop and remain warm by leaving the soft top on - then mounting the new hardtop and driving home.

Assess needs after that. Sounds like a yes from what I'm reading. Good info.