TJ just shut down while off-road

troyston

Hi,
I was taking some trails around my work and my 2000 sport 4.0 just shut off randomly. Haven’t been able to get it to start yet. It cranks, and there’s power to the inside, but it doesn’t fire up. Doesn’t look like anything’s messed up at all in the engine bay (belts, etc) The check engine light just came on too, wasn’t there before. Right before it happened I ran over a few little trees. I don’t have a code reader or anything with me. Any advice? I’m pretty far out for a tow truck, but I’ve got some basic wrenches and stuff like that

Could be a lot of things. Check for fuel pressure and fuel for that matter. Check for spark. Then I’d check the crank position sensor

Sounds like you ripped off a wire down under. Check your grounds. They seem to be ignored unlike the hot side wires. What does the code say?

Pretty sure most of the bottom ones are from us pulling the sensors for diagnostics, but the P0340 (CPS) hasn’t been ruled out yet

Update:
As far as I can tell the CPS is still good. I’m able to start it up and drive it slowly, but it does a shuddering if i go over around 30, and it dies at stops. When it does it’s almost exactly like if you shut it off with the key.