TJ / LJ Jeep Shopping: Input Appreciated

Aaron Paul

Been looking for a TJ / LJ 4.0 auto for my 16 yo daughter for the past month or so. I am up in northeastern PA so rust is a major issue here.
I know what to look for and to say the least, I am exhausted and frustrated! Everything thus far is rotted out either frame or body.

Drove 1.5 hours one way today and rented a trailer after extensive discussions and pictures only to find rust when I was told it wasn't there and the radiator was dripping like a faucet. Passed and came back home:(

Visited my buddy on Friday who has an LJ that he brought back from out west 2 years ago. Rust free body and frame. Hood needs a repaint, dent in drivers fender, bumper and step bars are rusted. Need a recoat or replace. Trans is original never serviced. 150K on the jeep. Looks like rear main may be leaking. Overall paint would be 6.5-7. Has hard top and half doors. Soft top is original. Needs tires, they are bald. Asking 8000.

Am I nuts for considering the LJ? Concerns will be the trans. , possible repaint on hood/fender if done at all. Repower or replace bars/bumpers. Probably need a soft top. Definitely needs tires. I threw 7500 at him and he said 8K firm. Thoughts?? Still would need transfer and tags.

Thinking maybe giving up on the Tj's and looking at 2007+ jeeps? Or 2012+ since the 2007 had motor issues??

I am willing to travel for the right jeep.

9K would be my max on a TJ and it would need to be superclean and around 100K miles.

Thanks for reading and opinions:)

Sounds like a good deal for a rust free LJ at 8k. Rear main seal is only between 500-700 to have replaced if you don't want to tackle it yourself. If you could post some pics we could better help.

I paid 5k for a wrecked lj and thought it was a deal. Had the frame straightened and lots of parts replaced to get it even driveable. Maybe some day I will finish it.