TJ not starting

BiggRiggs

So I’ve replaced the Crankshaft Position Sensor about a year ago. What’s the chances of that being the reason my 2004 4.0 manual X will not start now. It’s doing the same thing. So at 3 pm it started but probably took 3-5 seconds to fire and finally start which is unusual drive 26 miles. Then at 5 pm did the same thing drove 10 miles. Now at 10:30 pm just turns over and will not start just like it did with the Crankshaft Position Sensor.

IF you installed a cheap Auto Parts store knock off; then the chances are quiet good that this is the problem.
IF you installed a Mopar OEM part; the chances are far less likely to be the problem.
The link below will assist you to test your CPS to confirm if there is a problem.
Be careful when back probing the wires; ensure the metal pins or probes DONOT touch...

IF you installed a cheap Auto Parts store knock off; then the chances are quiet good that this is the problem.
IF you installed a Mopar OEM part; the chances are far less likely to be the problem.
The link below will assist you to test your CPS to confirm if there is a problem.
Be careful when back probing the wires; ensure the metal pins or probes DONOT touch...

I don’t remember the brand but I want to say it may have been crown. Where do y’all get the OEM Mopar parts. The closest Jeep dealer is almost an hour away and every time I’ve tried to get something for my older 04 Wrangler they never have it.

I don’t remember the brand but I want to say it may have been crown. Where do y’all get the OEM Mopar parts. The closest Jeep dealer is almost an hour away and every time I’ve tried to get something for my older 04 Wrangler they never have it.
No it was definitely Standard brand from Oreilly’s

Personally IF I were you; I would hold out trying to locate the Mopar OEM part.
Shortly after purchasing my '01 I searched thru numerous online sources and purchased a lot of Mopar spare parts.
Many of the parts are more expensive than the Crown parts, but you get what you pay for.
The only exception would be owners of the newer TJs who purchase the Crown OPDA since they redesigned the bearing lubrication.
This is just my preference and other members may have different preferences.

Did a search thru multiple sources for the Mopar OEM CPS to fit you '04 4.0L M/T, but it appears these sources list the part as OUT OF STOCK.
While it is aggravating to have to replace it this soon, it’s not a hard job. Last year when I bought the Standard brand from Oreilly’s it does have a lifetime warranty so it’s not gonna cost me anything. 🙂

So I’ve replaced the Crankshaft Position Sensor about a year ago. What’s the chances of that being the reason my 2004 4.0 manual X will not start now. It’s doing the same thing. So at 3 pm it started but probably took 3-5 seconds to fire and finally start which is unusual drive 26 miles. Then at 5 pm did the same thing drove 10 miles. Now at 10:30 pm just turns over and will not start just like it did with the Crankshaft Position Sensor.

Well before I did anything I hit it with a shot of starting fluid and it fired right up. So I checked my fuel relay and fuses and nothing bad. I guess I’m dropping the gas tank this weekend.

Well before I did anything I hit it with a shot of starting fluid and it fired right up. So I checked my fuel relay and fuses and nothing bad. I guess I’m dropping the gas tank this weekend.
DON'T drop the tank yet.... perform the following tests which could save you from dropping the tank.
Remove the fuel pump relay and jumper C10 (dark green/black) from the PDC fuse 23 to C9 (dark green/white) to the fuel pump to see if the fuel pump runs....
Verify that there is continuity to ground on terminal 4 (black); then measure the fuel pump power terminal 1 (dark green/white) and terminal 4 (black) to see if there is 12V with the relay jumpered.

When I hit it with Ether it only acted like it was gonna start so I quit spraying it because I know it’s not good for them. I don’t have a wiring diagram to do the troubleshooting mentioned. When I thought it fired on ether I replaced the fuel pump and still won’t start and won’t even try to start on ether. I cleared the O2 codes and tried to start it. It now has the P0320 Camshaft Position Sensor code. I replaced the CA PS and still nothing. It just turns over without trying to start. The way the coil on these things are made it’s hard to check for spark. I guess it’s time to put it in the shop. 😩💰💵💰

When I hit it with Ether it only acted like it was gonna start so I quit spraying it because I know it’s not good for them. I don’t have a wiring diagram to do the troubleshooting mentioned. When I thought it fired on ether I replaced the fuel pump and still won’t start and won’t even try to start on ether. I cleared the O2 codes and tried to start it. It now has the P0320 Camshaft Position Sensor code. I replaced the CA PS and still nothing. It just turns over without trying to start. The way the coil on these things are made it’s hard to check for spark. I guess it’s time to put it in the shop. 😩💰💵💰
You can download the PDF of the FSM for your year TJ and then use the wiring schematics in section 8W to assist you.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...ice-manuals-fsm-technical-documentation.4618/