TJ or JK?

Looks like I'm being drawn to a Rubi, 03-06. I've started looking into the things to look for when buying one. It's going to take a budget up a notch but hopefully will keep me from upgrading it much.

Theres a few 07-08 Rubi's that are in a decent price range but I'll avoid the 3.8 as recommended.

We lift our kids skateboards.

Go get 'em, sport!

Reactions: AndyG and StG58
My math showed that just upgrading to a Rubicon SYE and axles was way more than the premium I would pay to just buy a Rubicon.

Reactions: Alex01
Looks like I'm being drawn to a Rubi, 03-06. I've started looking into the things to look for when buying one. It's going to take a budget up a notch but hopefully will keep me from upgrading it much.

Theres a few 07-08 Rubi's that are in a decent price range but I'll avoid the 3.8 as recommended.

Own an '04 LJ and the Mrs. owns a '18 JL. When I was looking for mine I did look at JKs and I knew to stay away from that POS 3.8L. My daughter had one and it leaked and burned oil among other things.
You won't touch a '12 JK or newer for under $17k on average and as noted there is a reason the '07 - '11 JKs go for less than some TJs.
Shoot for the LJ if you can. It is a very nice ride but I would agree... 4 hours and you start getting a little annoyed. That can be remedied with better seats and sound proofing. With proper gearing they can be smooth as silk. 2"OME lift, 1.25" body lift, D44s, 33s and 4.88 gears... 72 MPH, 2500 rpms and smooth as glass on the highway. I put that thing on CC and can practically let go of the wheel.
The LJ is also great on the trail and I mean rock crawling and ditches, not dirt roads. I disco and air down and it just feels so planted and stable, I love it. Pop the back seat out and you have a very decent amount of room to haul stuff.
Side note, I'm mechanically inclined (as most are on here) and that comes in handy because you WILL need to wrench on it now and again but the way I see it that's part of the allure of the TJ :)

My math showed that just upgrading to a Rubicon SYE and axles was way more than the premium I would pay to just buy a Rubicon.
I'm starting to agree with this more and more. I'm also keeping an eye out for a Sport with some lockers. I thought the 4:1 would be a good thing to have but I'm trying to think of when I might actually use it. I'm not sure there is much around here that would really need that. I've always felt more solid with a locker or limited slip in the rear at least. Truth told it's probably forest roads and some mudding in my future. Even the Cinders probably wouldn't require a front locker.

I'm starting to agree with this more and more. I'm also keeping an eye out for a Sport with some lockers. I thought the 4:1 would be a good thing to have but I'm trying to think of when I might actually use it. I'm not sure there is much around here that would really need that. I've always felt more solid with a locker or limited slip in the rear at least. Truth told it's probably forest roads and some mudding in my future. Even the Cinders probably wouldn't require a front locker.

We're heading to The Cinders in two weeks on our way to Moab. Any advice? We plan on camping a few days too :)

I havn't been there in a decade. Last time was on Banshee's. I don't remember seeing any bigger vehicles anywhere but the flats. I'm usually a sand guy but don't have any toys currently. If you're going to go by Lees Ferry I'd suggest checking it out. It gets windy as all get out though but an amazing view to wake up to. Lake Powell is great but the 'camping' is no where near the lake, it's 3/4 of a mile away. Wish I had some better info but all my time I spend up at our cabin in Katchina.

Reactions: mgroeger