TJ overheating at idle

PepePR

hey guys, i know this matter has been beaten to death, but i cant seem to be able to solve it.

i have a ultra gauge to monitor my temps.

new oem radiator
new housing a oem thermostat
water pump is less than a year old
new fan cluch
new coolant and 2 bottles of water wetter.

when driving around temps fluctuate between 204-208. on a super hot day temps while driving reach 210.

but if i am at a parking, drive though ext temps start to rise up to 225.00

curious enough if i rev a bit the car temps drop to close to 210-214.

and even at 225 if you drive 30 seconds to a minute the temps drop to 210 or a bit lower nicely.

at this point i was considering adding a 12-14 inches fan to "cool" a bit the engine while at idle ..

seams drastic but don't know what else to do..

hey guys, i know this matter has been beaten to death, but i cant seem to be able to solve it.

new oem radiator
new fan cluch

when driving around temps fluctuate between 204-208. on a super hot day temps while driving reach 210.

and even at 225 if you drive 30 seconds to a minute the temps drop to 210 or a bit lower nicely.

What does the gauge on the dash read? Did you clean the system with a good chemical flush before replacing the water pump?

I am close to ordering a Spal 16” auxiliary fan to put it behind de grill with a thermo switch of 210

just mount one of these on the front of your Jeep !
1718914127809.png

new oem radiator
new fan cluch

at this point i was considering adding a 12-14 inches fan to "cool" a bit the engine while at idle ..

seams drastic but don't know what else to do..

You don't have a problem, this is normal.

I am close to ordering a Spal 16” auxiliary fan to put it behind de grill with a thermo switch of 210
What does the gauge on the dash read? Did you clean the system with a good chemical flush before replacing the water pump?

i did, but today i was considering, doing it again to see if it helps

just mount one of these on the front of your Jeep !
View attachment 536370

doe it fit?
Assuming you have the AC running when seeing those temps? If so, your temps are fine.

You don't have a problem, this is normal.

how can it be fine if the digital temp reader reads close to 225 on idle?

and when running is close to 204-207

and yes factory shroud and optimal conditions

and yes AC runs fine and cool .

You say it builds heat when sitting, but instantly cools to "normal" when moving. That tells me your fan isn't spinning fast enough to move enough air (fan clutch issue). I know you say that you have a new fan clutch, but that really doesn't mean much since manufactures produce different "service levels" (normal, heavy duty, severe duty, etc.) and those vary from one manufacturer to another. Search this site for guys who have gone through different fan clutches looking for the right one.

You say it builds heat when sitting, but instantly cools to "normal" when moving. That tells me your fan isn't spinning fast enough to move enough air (fan clutch issue). I know you say that you have a new fan clutch, but that really doesn't mean much since manufactures produce different "service levels" (normal, heavy duty, severe duty, etc.) and those vary from one manufacturer to another. Search this site for guys who have gone through different fan clutches looking for the right one.

Thats my same conclusion

Trying to get my hands on a proper one

doe it fit?

and yes factory shroud and optimal conditions

and yes AC runs fine and cool .

The temp changing based on moving or not moving, and the coolant staying in the system and not bubbling over , and the engine still runs fine, it’s fine.

It’s not “overheating” the system is doing what it does.

Changing the title to “gets hotter at idle” would be more accurate.

Maybe try a different fan clutch is about all you can do, if everything else is known good.

+1 on normal. It’s 90+ in Atlanta with high humidity. I’ve got new mopar rad, water pump, hoses, etc…I’ve used both the Hayden 2771 and 2791 fan clutch. While driving I’m 200 +/- 10*, siting in the carpool line with the AC on blast, right at 225 until I give it some gas and start moving.

Reactions: mjonesjr84

i did, but today i was considering, doing it again to see if it helps

Use caution putting things in front of the radiator, everything you put there reduces air flow which could increase you problem. Im not saying it will, just adding to things I've seen happen.